Baseball Heads to No. 13 LSU, Southern Miss
The Holy Cross baseball team prepares for a big week against some of the nation’s top talent, first heading to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a game at national No. 13 LSU on Wednesday, March 6. Following that game, the Crusaders travel to Hattiesburg, Mississippi to face Southern Miss for a three-game series beginning on Friday, March 8.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (1-10):
- Holy Cross went 1-3 at the Mardi Gras Classic, hosted by McNeese in Lake Charles, Louisiana, between March 2 and 4.
- The Crusaders earned their first victory of the 2019 season with an 8-6 result over Nicholls on Sunday, March 3.
- In the win, three players had three-hit games for Holy Cross: junior shortstop Chris Rinaldi (3-for-4, two RBI, two runs scored), freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri (3-for-5, home run, two RBI, two runs scored) and sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis (3-for-3, home run, two RBI).
- Sophomore righty Liam Dvorak earned his first win on the mound with just three earned runs and six hits in six innings pitched. Freshman righty C.J. McKennitt additionally recorded his first collegiate save.
- Dvorak has led the Crusaders so far on the mound this year, with a 3.45 ERA in a team-high 15.2 innings pitched. Sophomore reliever Kyle Johnson has a team-high 12 strikeouts and has allowed just four earned runs in 7.1 innings pitched.
- Malgeri leads the Crusaders with a .324 average with four extra-base hits.
- Holy Cross heads to LSU for the first time since February 2011.
- This will be the first meeting between Holy Cross and Southern Miss.
Things to Know About the Tigers (8-3):
- After starting the season 8-0, LSU was swept in a weekend series by Texas between March 1 and 3.
- Infielder Josh Smith leads the Tigers with a .452 average this year. Outfielder Antoine Duplantis ranks third in all of Division I with 23 RBI.
- The Tigers average 9.4 runs per game, eighth-most in the nation. LSU scores early in games, outscoring its opponents 27-4 in the first inning so far in 2019.
- LSU is a perfect 8-0 at home this season.
- In 2018, the Tigers finished 39-27 overall with a 15-15 mark in the SEC, earning a spot in the SEC Tournament final and qualifying for the NCAA Regional in Corvallis, Oregon.
Things to Know About the Golden Eagles (4-5):
- Southern Miss dropped two weekend games to Gonzaga on Saturday, March 2, falling 4-2 and 10-8 in a 10-inning affair.
- As of Tuesday, March 5, outfielder Hunter Slater leads the way for Southern Miss with a .351 average in 37 at bats, to go with two homers and eight RBI. Outfielder Matt Wallner, a preseason NCBWA Second Team All-American, has a team-best nine RBI.
- The Golden Eagles swept Purdue to open the season and also earned a 1-0 10-inning win over national No. 9 Mississippi State on February 22.
- Righty Walker Powell has a 0.77 ERA in a team-high 11.2 innings pitched, allowing just 10 hits in two starts.
- Southern Miss won Conference USA regular season and tournament titles in 2018, posting a 44-18 overall record with a 23-6 mark in league play.