Volleyball set for home opener vs. Merrimack
Holy Cross (0-6)
vs. Merrimack (1-2)
|Date||Sept. 10, 2019|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross volleyball team will play its home opener against Merrimack College on Tuesday, Sept. 10 in Blaney Gymnasium.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (0-6):
- Holy Cross fell in a trio of tough matches at the Holly Young Invitational on Friday, Sept. 6 and Saturday, Sept. 7 in Durham, N.H. On Friday, the Crusaders were swept by New Hampshire; they led 2-1 in matches against Seattle U and Brown on Saturday, but ultimately fell, 3-2.
- Sophomore outside hitter Regan Wright totaled 36 kills on the weekend for an average of 3.00 kills per set, earning a spot on the all-tournament team. Junior setter Kathleen Philo had 66 assists, averaging 5.08 assists per set, along with five service aces. Sophomore libero Skye Daval-Santos had 48 digs in 13 sets played.
- Junior outside hitter Rachel Harding, who had a double-double of 15 digs and a season-high 15 kills against Brown, leads the Crusaders with 54 kills this season and also ranks second on the team with 70 digs.
Things to Know About the Warriors (1-2):
- The Warriors come off a split at a tri-match with Southern New Hampshire University and Saint Michael’s College on Saturday, falling to SNHU 3-0 before earning their first win of the season, 3-0, against Saint Michael’s.
- Merrimack is competing in its first Division I season after previously competing in the Northeast-10 Conference at the Division II level. The Warriors dropped their only matchup against a Division I team so far this season, falling 3-0 at Providence on Sept. 4.
- Outside hitter Catherine Flaherty leads the Warriors with 21 kills this year, while middle hitter Lily Blodgett is close behind with 20 on the year. Setter Rosie Sperduto averages 6.11 assists per set and rookie defensive specialist Taelyr Czech has totaled 36 digs over three matches.