Softball Ready for Bucknell at Home This Weekend
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross softball team is set to resume Patriot League play this weekend as it hosts Bucknell for a three-game series.
The Crusaders are coming off a 2-2 week where they beat Harvard, fell to Central Connecticut, and split a pair with Siena. Bucknell saw its 10-game winning streak snapped by Mount St. Mary’s this Wednesday. Before that, they hadn’t lost since March 16. The Bison have opened conference action with nine straight victories thanks to three-game sweeps of Colgate, Lehigh, and Lafayette.
Harvard is the only opponent at this point in the season that both sides have in common. The Crusaders earned a 6-4 victory over the Crimson, while Bucknell fell, 9-8, in 12 innings.
Things to know about Holy Cross (5-24):
- In last weekend’s split with Siena, Taylor Wahler led the way at the plate as she went 5-for-7 with five runs, one RBI, two triples, a double, and two stolen bases. She earned Patriot League honorable mention accolades for her efforts.
- Jackie Brewster also had a big weekend going 3-for-4 with two runs, two RBI, a double, a walk, and a stolen base. Erin Bengston was 2-for-4 with two runs, one RBI, a home run, and two walks.
- In the circle, Alexandra Held picked up her second win of the season going 5.2 innings against Siena and struck out five in the process. Kelly Nelson earned her second, and Patriot League leading, save of the season. She threw a total of 6.1 innings against the Saints, striking out seven.
- Nelson’s 116 strikeouts are fourth all-time in a single season in program history and are currently third this season in the Patriot League. She is just 21 behind third place in the Holy Cross record books. Her 41 looking strikeouts is second in the conference to only Boston’s DuBois’ 42.
Things to know about Bucknell (20-16):
- The Bison currently have five players hitting above .300, but are led by freshman Allysa Volpe who is batting .387 on the season with one home run and 13 RBI. Lauren Hadley leads the team with five home runs, while Taylor Wolfgang has a team-high 29 RBI.
- Raeanne Geffert has posted a 1.99 ERA over 137.1 innings and has struck out 125. All three marks rank her at least second in the conference, with her innings being the most out of any Patriot League pitcher.
- Volpe and Geffert are the reigning Patriot League Rookie and Pitcher of the Week, respectively. Volpe hit .700 last week with four runs, one RBI, and two stolen bases, while Geffert threw 12 shutout innings against Lafayette.