Softball Heads to Siena for Doubleheader
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross softball team will take on Siena in a non-conference doubleheader Sunday afternoon.
The Crusaders had the week off from Patriot League play and instead will face their third out-of-conference opponent in the last six days when they face Siena. Holy Cross hosted Harvard and Central Connecticut earlier in the week, coming away with a 6-4 victory over the Crimson, but falling to the Blue Devils in eight innings, 6-3.
Things to know about Holy Cross (4-23):
- Bailey Chavez is 2-for-5 in the Crusaders’ two games this week with two runs, two RBI, three walks, and two stolen bases. She owns a .625 on-base percentage for the week. Alyssa Gutierrez is also 2-for-5 with a run, an RBI, and a walk. Sydney Behrens has two hits, one of which was a triple, and has scored one run and has one RBI. Carley Boothe is 2-for-4 with a run.
- Gutierrez has reached base safely in five straight games. Erin Bengston and Boothe have done so in four.
- Alexandra Held got her first win of the season in the circle against Harvard. She went 3.2 innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs, while striking out three. In the same game, Kelly Nelson earned her first career save as she came on in relief and threw 3.1 innings and gave up just one hit and one earned run, while striking out six.
Things to know about Siena (7-14):
- The Saints are 1-2 against Patriot League competition this season, falling 5-1 to Boston University and 3-1 to Army. They managed to grab a 1-0 win over Army as well.
- Siena is led offensively by Madysen Cossack who is hitting a staggering .433 with three home runs and 16 RBI. The Saints have three other players hitting at least .300, while Lauren Sabihon leads the team with five stolen bases.
- The lowest ERA on the squad belongs to Brooke Hughes with a 4.23. She and Maddie McMahon (4.49 ERA) have each started eight games and pitched 48.0 and 43.2 innings respectively. Brookes has struck out 31 and McMahon 34.