Men's Hockey Set for Merychurst Series
Holy Cross will resume Atlantic Hockey action with a two-game series in Erie on Jan. 4 and 5. Puck drop is slated for 7:00 p.m. both nights.
• The Crusaders picked back up the second half of the season with a New Years Day matinee exhibition with the U.S. National Under-18 team in Plymouth, Mich.
• Holy Cross closed out the first half of the season with a 2-0 win at Robert Morris on Dec. 8. The Crusaders split the weekend series with the Colonials, despite outshooting them on Dec. 7.
• Erik Gordon captured his first collegiate win with a 26-save shutout. The shutout also marked the first of his career. Gordon was named Atlantic Hockey Goalie of the Week for his efforts.
• Coughlin leads the team in points with 11 points (2-9-11).
• With four goals, Mitch Collett leads the team in scoring.
• The Crusaders have had recent success on the penalty kill, killing 58 of 70 penalties for a 82.9% success rate.
• On the power play Holy Cross holds a 15.4% conversion rate.
Exhibition vs. U.S. National Under-18 Team
• Holy Cross faced the U18s on Jan. 1 and fell, 6-3, in an exhibition.
• The U18s took an early 2-0 lead but the Crusaders closed the first period down 2-1. USA extended their lead to 5-1 later in the game, but Holy Cross scored two quick goals to push the game to 5-3. The U18s tallied a late third period goal to close the game at 6-3.
• Johnny Coughlin leads the team with nine assists. He is also tied for 18th in the league in helpers. In league games, Coughlin ranks ninth with eight assists.
• The senior ranks ninth in defensive scoring amongst the league (2-9-11) and averages 0.73 points per game.
• Merychurst holds a 8-10-2 overall record and 6-5-1 mark in league play.
• The Lakers are led by Joseph Duszak, who has posted 20 points on five goals and 15 assists.
• Derek Barach leads the team in scoring with eight goals. Barachhas added 10 assists for 18 points.
• All three Laker goaltenders have seen time this season. Garrett Metcalf and Stefano Cantali have split time, Metcalf playing in seven games and Cantali in 12 games.
• Cantali holds a .902 save percentage and 3.06 goals against average. Metcalf has recorded a .928 save percentage and 2.27 goals against average.
• Mercyhurst has tallied 12 power play goals on the season for a 12% conversion rate. On the penalty kill the Lakers hold a 75.6% success rate.
• In the 2018-19 season, the Lakers’ home record is 1-4-1 and 1-3-1 in home league games.
Last Time Against Mercyhurst
• Holy Cross played Mercyhurst to a 0-2-2 record in the 2017-18 season.
• The Crusaders and Lakers skated to consecutive ties to open the season (Oct. 13, 1-1 & Oct. 14, 4-4) and dropped two games on Feb. 9 and 10, 6-5 and 4-0.
• Overall the Crusaders are 16-36-7 against the Lakers.
• The Crusaders will host Niagara for two games at the Hart Center on Jan. 11 and 12. Both games will be played at 7:05 p.m.