Men's Track and Field Opens Outdoor Season at Bryant
SMITHFIELD, R.I. -- The Holy Cross men’s track and field team opened its outdoor season at the Black and Gold Invitational, hosted by Bryant University, on Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30. The Crusaders placed fifth out of 13 teams.
- Sophomore Gabe Piepergerdes won the 400 meter hurdles in a time of 53.80 seconds. Senior Brandon Thornhill (55.52 seconds) and junior Freddie Halloran (55.55) were fourth and fifth, respectively.
- Sophomore Michael Pichay won the triple jump with a meet-record mark of 14.61 meters, while senior Sawyer Badey was sixth with a lead of 12.41 meters.
- Freshman Joseph Leland placed second in the 5,000 meters in a time of 15:33.06.
- Thornhill earned a second-place finish in the 110 meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 15.17 seconds.
- Pichay also placed fourth in the long jump (6.95 meters) and sophomore Russell Abbott was eighth (6.44 meters).
- Junior Garrett Fortin placed eighth in the 100 meters (11.54 seconds).
- Sophomore Dan Dempsey was fifth in the high jump with a leap of 1.87 meters.
- Senior Christopher Puntasecca placed sixth in the pole vault, clearing 4.00 meters.
- Holy Cross will send competitors to the Tiger Classic, hosted by Auburn University, on April 6 and 7.
- The University of New Hampshire will also welcome Holy Cross and the University of Maine on April 7.