Baseball Falls in Doubleheader at Southern Miss
|Left On Base||7||10|
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi -- The Holy Cross baseball team dropped a pair of contests to the University of Southern Mississippi on Friday, March 8.
Holy Cross 1, Southern Miss 4
W: Walker Powell (1-0)
L: Pat McGowan (0-4)
S: Alex Nelms (1)
How it Happened:
- Southern Miss had a run in the first and two runs in the fourth to take a 3-0 lead early.
- In the top of the fifth, senior third baseman Alex Gionis had a one-out walk, followed by a single from sophomore first baseman Evan Blum that pushed Gionis to third. Freshman designated hitter Nate Wolf had an RBI single to cut into the Golden Eagles’ lead to 3-1.
- Southern Miss added an insurance run in the eighth inning off a solo home run.
|Left On Base||5||6|
Holy Cross 3, Southern Miss 5
- Peter Dudunakis (1-for-2, home run, 2 RBI)
- Evan Blum (1-for-3, double)
- Liam Dvorak (seven strikeouts)
- Declan Cronin (3.0 IP, one hit, no earned runs, three strikeouts)
W: Stevie Powers (2-2)
L: Liam Dvorak (1-2)
S: J.C. Keys (3)
How it Happened:
- The Golden Eagles got on the board in the bottom of the first after Matthew Guidry had a solo shot to center; they later added four runs to take a 5-0 lead by the third inning.
- Sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis had a solo home run in the top of the fourth to break the shutout.
- The Crusaders cut the deficit to 5-3 in the sixth inning. Freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri and junior center fielder Austin Masel had back-to-back singles to put runners on first and third with nobody out; Dudunakis had a sac fly to bring Malgeri home, and Masel later scored on a wild pitch.
- Despite three shutout innings pitched by senior righty Declan Cronin, the Crusaders couldn’t cut into the Southern Miss lead for the rest of the afternoon.
- The Crusaders play one more contest against the Golden Eagles on Saturday, March 9. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. ET.