Baseball Drops Mardi Gras Classic Contests to Nicholls, McNeese
|Left On Base||7||11|
LAKE CHARLES, La. -- The Holy Cross baseball team fell to Nicholls and McNeese to open the Mardi Gras Classic on Saturday, March 2.
Holy Cross 2, Nicholls 11
- Nate Wolf (1-for-1, home run)
- Zach Buck (1-for-1, one run scored)
- Evan Blum (1-for-4, one RBI)
- Austin Masel (1-for-3)
W: Jacob Bedevian (2-0)
L: Pat McGowan (0-3)
How It Happened:
- The Crusaders were held hitless through three innings until junior center fielder Austin Masel had a single to lead off the fourth; by that point, though, Nicholls had built a 3-0 lead.
- Nicholls’ lead grew to 7-0 by the seventh inning.
- In the top of the eighth, freshman outfielder Nate Wolf had his first collegiate home run with a solo shot to put the Crusaders on the board.
- Nicholls added four more runs in the bottom half of the eighth to push their lead to 11-1.
- Sophomore Zach Buck pinch hit to lead off the ninth and had a single; sophomore Andrew Selima followed with another pinch-hit single. Sophomore designated hitter Evan Blum hit a third straight single to bring Buck home, but that would cap the scoring for the Crusaders in the contest.
|Left On Base||7||12|
Holy Cross 0, McNeese 13
- Austin Masel (2-for-4, one double)
- Kyle Johnson (2.2 IP, no runs, one hit, four strikeouts)
- Alex Gionis (1-for-3, one walk)
W: Bryan King (2-0)
L: Declan Cronin (0-2)
How It Happened:
- Masel had a two-out double in the first inning, followed by a walk to freshman Ben Malgeri, but the Crusaders could not bring anyone home to begin the game.
- McNeese tallied 10 runs through the first four innings to build a commanding double-digit lead early; the Cowboys added three more runs in the sixth to go up 13-0.
- The Crusaders continue at the Mardi Gras Classic with a rematch against Nicholls on Sunday, March 3. First pitch is set for 2 p.m. ET.