Field hockey ready for matchup with Merrimack
Holy Cross (0-1)
vs. Merrimack (0-1)
|Date||Sept. 6, 2018|
|Hart Turf Field|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross field hockey team will take on Merrimack College this Friday, Sept. 6 at 4:05 p.m. on Hart Turf Field.
The Crusaders are trying to bounce back after their season-opening loss to Northeastern last Friday. The Warriors will try to do the same as they also opened their season with a 3-0 loss, with their defeat coming at the hands of Temple.
Things to know about Holy Cross:
- Senior goalkeeper Marcia LaPlante made 14 saves in the season opener, enough to lead the NCAA in saves per game after the first week of the season. Her .824 save percentage is in the top 20 as well.
- Sophomore Lily Watson and junior Kristen Weber generated the most shots for the Crusaders against the Huskies, three and two respectively. If either were to break through against the Warriors, it would be Watson’s first career goal and Weber’s second.
Things to know about Merrimack:
- This will be Merrimack’s first season as a Division I program, as they are transitioning from Division II. The Warriors finished last season at 18-4, winning the NE10 Championship, and going out in the first round of the DII Championship against Shippensburg University.
- Merrimack’s top returning scorer form last year, Jessica Palmer, had nine goals and two assists for 20 points, good for second on the team.
- Katharina Ohmen started 20 games in goal and allowed 1.44 goals against per game with a .794 save percentage.