Men's Track and Field Competes at BU Valentine Invite, URI
Holy Cross Athletics 02-10-2019
The Holy Cross men’s track and field team competed at Boston University’s David Hemery Valentine Invitational and the URI Coaches’ Tribute on Saturday, February 9.
- Junior Garrett Fortin broke a school record in the 200 meter dash, clocking in at 22.16 seconds and placing 39th overall. That time bested the previous top mark, 22.27 seconds, set by Andrew Maggio in 2006.
- Sophomore Michael Pichay placed 12th out of 40 competitors in the long jump with a top mark of 6.59 meters.
- Sophomore Gabe Piepergerdes ran a collegiate best of 50.24 seconds in the 400 meter dash, finishing 76th overall; junior Freddie Halloran was 90th and also ran a personal best of 50.51 seconds.
- Junior Bobby Tuzzio ran a personal best in the 3,000 meters, finishing 153rd in 8:47.06.
- Senior Matthew Silas had a personal-record 15:42.84 in the 5,000 meters, good for 113rd overall.
- Freshman Corey Vita doubled up in the 200 meter dash (31st) and 400 meter dash (20th), running a PR in the 200 (24.74 seconds).
- Freshman Joseph Leland led a deep Holy Cross pack in the 3,000 meter run, finishing 17th and running a collegiate-best 9:06.97.
- Senior Myles Connor had a leap of 1.80 meters in the high jump to place seventh.
- Sophomore Russell Abbott placed sixth in the long jump with a leap of 6.15 meters.
- The Crusaders are next in action on February 16 and 17 at the Patriot League Indoor Championships, to be hosted by Navy in Annapolis, Maryland.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
Holy Cross Athletics Moments: 2018-19
2019 Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype
Softball vs. Lafayette Highlights (5/4/2019)