Volleyball prepares for Holly Young Invitational
Holy Cross (0-3)
at Holly Young Invitational
|at UNH||Sept. 6, 2019 | 7 p.m.|
|vs. Seattle U||Sept. 7, 2019 | 10 a.m.|
|vs. Brown||Sept. 7, 2019 | 2:30 p.m.|
|Watch (vs. UNH)||ESPN+|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
The Holy Cross volleyball team will compete at the Holly Young Invitational on Friday, Sept. 6 and Saturday, Sept. 7. The Crusaders will play host University of New Hampshire at 7 p.m. on Friday, followed by two matchups on Saturday against Seattle University at 10 a.m. and Brown at 2:30 p.m.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (0-3):
- Holy Cross opened its 2019 season at the Penn State Classic on Aug. 30 and 31, falling to tough competition against Wichita State, No. 8 Penn State and Hofstra.
- Junior outside hitter Rachel Harding was named to the All-Tournament Team after totaling 25 kills and 27 digs to open the year. She had a double-double of 11 kills and 12 digs to close out the weekend against Hofstra.
- Freshman Gracyn Benck also recorded a team-high eight kills against Penn State.
- Junior libero Sophie VanSeveren leads Holy Cross with 44 digs this year. Junior setter Shannon Dwyer has totaled 25 assists this season to lead the Crusaders in that category.
Things to Know About the Wildcats (3-1):
- UNH most recently played against Bryant on Tuesday, Sept. 3, posting a 3-0 victory. The Wildcats also won two out of three games to open the year at the Army Invitational Tournament on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1.
- Outside hitter Kennedi Smith has led the Wildcats with 34 kills this year (2.43 per set). Setter Emma Patlovich has totaled 65 assists (4.64 per set).
- The Wildcats have out-blocked their opponents 32 to 18 this season.
- Holy Cross and UNH last played on Aug. 25, 2017, with the Wildcats sweeping the Crusaders. Now-junior middle blocker Katie Kerins had 14 digs and seven kills in the match; now-junior libero Sophie VanSeveren recorded 15 digs.
Things to Know About the Redhawks (2-1):
- The Redhawks opened their season with a pair of 3-1 wins over Southern Miss and San Francisco before falling to Denver in three sets in the Denver Classic.
- Outside hitter Eve Kerschenbaum leads Seattle U with 54 kills (4.91 per set), five service aces and an attack percentage of .261.
- Freshman setter Ezgi Ozkan has totaled 110 assists (10 per set) to lead the Redhawks.
- A season ago, Seattle U had an 11-19 record overall with a 4-12 mark in the Western Athletic Conference.
- This will be the first meeting ever between Holy Cross and Seattle U.
Things to Know About the Bears (0-0):
- Brown will open its season at the Holly Young Invitational this weekend.
- A year ago, the Bears finished with an 11-13 record overall and 4-10 mark in the Ivy League; the Bears did own a 5-1 record in neutral-site games.
- Brown returns right-side hitter Eliza Grover, who had 245 kills in 2018. Setter Kristin Sellers had 788 assists (7.96 per set) to lead the Bears in that category a year ago.
- Holy Cross last played Brown on Sept. 2, 2017, with the Bears taking a 3-1 victory. Kerins had 18 kills in that match, while VanSeveren had 22 digs.