Volleyball falls to Wichita State in season opener
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Holy Cross volleyball team fell in its season opener to Wichita State, 3-0, on Friday, Aug. 30 in the first match of the Penn State Classic.
Junior outside hitter Rachel Harding had 10 kills and nine digs, while junior libero Sophie VanSeveren had 20 digs to help lead Holy Cross (0-1). Junior setter Shannon Dwyer had 13 assists and seven digs, and junior middle blocker Clare Honan recorded a .462 hitting percentage with seven kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first set, Holy Cross got out to an early 6-3 lead after a kill by Honan and an attack error by Wichita State. The Crusaders maintained their lead at 10-8 following a kill by freshman outside hitter Gracyn Benck, but the Shockers scored six unanswered points to take a 14-10 lead.
- The Crusaders were able to cut within 17-16 after a kill from Harding, prompting a Wichita State timeout. Though Holy Cross remained close, trailing just 20-18 after a kill from Honan, the Shockers notched five of the next six points to take the first set, 25-19.
- The second set began with a kill from junior outside hitter Renee LeBlanc, and from there, the Crusaders and Shockers traded points, with neither team leading by more than two until an attack error gave Wichita State a 12-9 lead.
- Holy Cross scored four straight points after a kill from junior middle blocker Katie Kerins, an attack error by the Shockers, and a pair of kills from Harding and LeBlanc to take a 13-12 lead and force a Wichita State timeout. A kill from junior outside hitter Emmerson Smith later made it a 16-16 game, but the Shockers pulled away to take a 24-18 lead. A pair of kills from Harding brought the Crusaders within 24-20, but Wichita State secured the next point and the second set with a kill.
- The Shockers took a 6-1 lead early in the third set, and though Harding later had a kill to make the score 8-4, the Crusaders could cut no closer, as Wichita State won the set by a score of 25-12.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Honan’s attack percentage of .462 was a career best for a single match.
- Benck, who started Friday’s match, made her collegiate debut, recording four kills.
- Holy Cross will round out the Penn State Classic with a pair of matchups against two 2018 NCAA Tournament-qualifying teams on Saturday, Aug. 31.
- First serve for the match against No. 8 Penn State will be at 10 a.m., while the Crusaders will take on Hofstra at 5 p.m.