Men's soccer to begin 2019 season
Holy Cross (0-0-0)
vs. Santa Clara (0-0-0)
|Date||Aug. 30, 2019|
|Location||Santa Clara, Calif.|
|Last Meeting||Sept. 12, 2003 | L, 01|
|Series History||Holy Cross trails, 0-2-0|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s soccer team is set to begin its 2019 slate on Friday, Aug. 30 at Santa Clara at 5:00 p.m. (EST). The Crusaders saw a 2018 schedule with seven double-overtime games, eight 90+ minute games, and six one-goal deficit games. Holy Cross and eighth year head coach Marco Koolman are ready to convert in the 2019 season.
Players to Watch
- Max Krause returns as the team’s top scorer from the 2019 season and will be serving as one of the Crusaders’ three captains. Krause finished his sophomore season with seven points from two goals and three assists. Krause also netted both goals in Holy Cross’ 2-1 win over #16 UMass Lowell.
- Midfield captain Rory Birse returns to the lineup after starting in 12 games in the 2019 season.
- Defensively, Edi Mujan returns as a junior, having scored one goal last season and started in 15 games in 2018.
- In the Midfield, sophomore Dylan Scanley saw action in 15 games and and is expected in the Crusaders’ starting XI.
- Bobby Hurstak will reappear in goal after making the game-winning PK save in the 2017 Patriot League semifinal save. Hurstak played 11 games and 921:05 in 2016 and made 30 saves.
- The Crusaders added 10 new faces to the 2019 roster: Taj Salawu, Matthew Volz, Brennan Garcia Hilger, Emmanuel Petrov, Zachary Schubert, Bobby Manella, Matt McGonigle, Bergin Kranz, Jack Ostrosky, and Jimmy Joyce.
- Taj Salawu looks to be a full-time contributor to the Crusaders’ back-line, while Bobby Manella and Jack Ostroksy aim to be mainstays in the Crusaders’ midfield.
Scouting Santa Clara
- Santa Clara hosts the Crusaders after posting 5-10-2 record and 1-5-1 West Coast Conference record in 2018.
- Javier Ruiz Duran returns as the Brocos’ leading scorer after a 17-point season from six goals and five assists.
- Miles Robinson also returns, after an 11-point season from four goals and three assists.
- In goal, Henning Jolivet returns after posting a 3-3-1 record in 2019. He made 25 saves for a 1.89 goals against average and .641 save percentage