Softball Travels to St. John's Invitational
Holy Cross (2-11)
at St. John’s Invitational
March 16 • 10:00 a.m.
vs. Wagner • Stats
March 16 • 12:00 p.m.
March 17 • 10:00 a.m.
vs. Hofstra • Stats
March 17 • 12:00 p.m.
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross softball team will travel to the St. John’s Invitational this weekend to take on Wagner, Hofstra, and host St. John’s.
This will be the Crusaders’ final tournament before they begin conference play the following weekend at Army, with a double-header against Stony Brook sandwiched in between. Most recently, Holy Cross played down in Jacksonville and Clearwater, Fla. where it claimed a 16-inning win over Jacksonville and held its own against tough competition such as Penn State, Villanova, and Central Michigan to name a few.
Things to Know About Holy Cross (2-11):
- Through 13 games, senior Taylor Wahler leads the team with a .340 average with three doubles and two RBI.
- Freshman Erin Bengston and senior Jackie Brewster are next on the team hitting .275 and .256 respectively. They are tied for the team lead with six runs scored, while Bengston has five RBI and Brewster four. Bengston also leads the team in slugging (.425) and on base percentage (.370).
- Freshman Jessie Nagel leads all Crusaders with eight RBI.
- In the circle, freshman Kelly Nelson has started out hot, leading the team with 63 strikeouts and an opponent batting average of .182. Against Jacksonville, she threw a 16-inning complete game and set program and Patriot League records with 27 strikeouts. The NCAA record is 28. (She was nominated by espnW for the most impressive performance of the season. Vote for her here!)
- Wahler and Brewster led the team offensively while in Florida. Brewster hit .321 with four runs, two RBI, a double, and a triple, while Wahler batted .300 with three runs, two RBI, a double, and three stolen bases.
- This will be the first matchups in program history against Hofstra and St. John’s. The Crusaders last played Wagner in 2011 when they defeated them, 6-3.
Things to Know About Wagner (3-9):
- Last weekend, Wagner played at the Colorado State Classic where it beat Dayton, but fell to Colorado State and twice to Syracuse.
- At the plate, the Seahawks are led by Kaila Smith’s .353 average, 12 RBI, and five runs.
- Karen Prihoda is 6-for-6 on stolen bases so far on the year.
- In the circle, Eve Harvey has made nine appearances, four starts, and owns an 8.65 ERA in 28.1 innings pitched.
Things to Know About St. John’s (8-12):
- St. John’s was at the same USF Series as Holy Cross last weekend, and went 2-3 with wins over Western Michigan and the University of South Carolina Upstate, and losses to Toledo, USF, and the University of Central Florida.
- Marissa Rizzi is hitting .404 and also leads the team with five home runs, 14 RBI, and 44 total bases.
- St. John’s likes to run with five players currently with multiple stolen bases, three of those players have swiped at least five bags.
- Madison Morris leads the team in the circle with a 3.75 ERA. In 12 starts, she has thrown 74.2 innings, allowed 40 earned runs, and struck out 73.
Things to Know About Hofstra (7-11):
- Hofstra went 4-1 last weekend with wins against Norfolk State, Albany, Iona, and Hampton with its lone loss coming against Morgan State.
- Meghan Giordan and Kristin Hallam are both hitting above .400 for the Pride, as Giordano has already hit five home runs and recorded 22 RBI. Hallam is 10-for-11 on stolen base attempts.
- Madison Burns has started 10 games in the circle, going the distance in six, while compiling a 4.17 ERA and a .295 opponent batting average.