Baseball Slips Up At Alabama-Birmingham
Holy Cross Athletics 02-23-2019
|Left On Base||9||10|
TROY, Alabama -- The Holy Cross baseball team dropped the opening contest of its weekend series against Alabama-Birmingham, falling by a score of 20-6 on Saturday, February 23.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blazers got out to an early 3-0 lead after a two-run first and a home run by J Paul Fullerton in the second.
- Holy Cross put a run on the board in the top of the third after senior Alex Gionis led off with a double and was brought home on an RBI single from junior Riley Livingston.
- Sophomore Evan Blum had a two-RBI single in the fourth inning that brought senior Kellen McCormick and freshman Ben Malgeri home to tie the game at 3-3. The Crusaders then took a 4-3 lead on an RBI groundout from junior Chris Rinaldi, followed by a sacrifice from Livingston that scored Blum and gave the Crusaders a 5-3 lead.
- UAB answered quickly, plating eight runs in the bottom half of the fifth and adding five more in the sixth to take a 16-5 lead.
- Holy Cross got a run back in the eighth off a homer from sophomore Peter Dudunakis.
- UAB closed out the evening with four more runs in the eighth to cap the scoring on the evening.
- The Crusaders and Blazers will play a doubleheader on Sunday, February 24. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Baseball
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part III
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part II
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part I