Baseball Falls in Season Opener at No. 15 Baylor
|Left On Base||8||12|
WACO, Texas – The Holy Cross baseball team dropped its season opener to No. 15 Baylor in a 12-0 result on Friday, February 15.
HOLY CROSS STATS LEADERS:
W: Hayden Kettler, Baylor (1-0)
L: Zane Hedaya, Holy Cross (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Baylor got on the board in the bottom of the first; despite the best efforts of diving right fielder Jared Enders, Richard Cunningham notched a leadoff double for the Bears, followed by a walk by Nick Loftin and an RBI single from Davis Wendzel that scored Cunningham. After one, Baylor led by a score of 2-0.
- Freshman outfielder Ben Malgeri earned his first collegiate hit with a one-out single up the middle in the top of the second, but Holy Cross could not bring him across home plate. The Bears subsequently built their lead to 5-0 by the end of the third.
- The Crusaders threatened in the top of the fourth when center fielder Austin Masel had a one-out single to second base, followed by a two-out single from Malgeri, his second hit of the game. Designated hitter Evan Blum earned a walk to load the bases, but the threat ended with a strikeout to close out the frame.
- Baylor added three more runs in the fourth inning and four runs in the sixth inning to grow their lead to 12-0 and put the game out of reach.
- Freshmen C.J. McKennitt and Frank Spano pitched scoreless seventh and eighth innings, respectively, with McKennitt striking out two batters.
- Seven Crusaders made their collegiate debuts against the Bears: Malgeri, McKennitt, Spano, Cooper Mehrmann, Matt Clarkin, Angelo D’Acunto and Nate Wolf.
- Holy Cross continues its weekend series against the Bears with a doubleheader on Saturday, February 16. First pitch is set for 2:05 p.m. ET.