Men's Hockey Ready For Sacred Heart
WORCESTER, Mass. - Holy Cross will resume Atlantic Hockey play with a two-game series at Sacred Heart on Jan. 25 and 26. The Crusaders and Pioneers will faceoff at 7:00 p.m and 2:00 p.m., respectively.
• The Crusaders dropped a 4-1 decision at #6 Quinnipiac on Tuesday, Jan. 22.
• Patrick O'Leary scored the lone Holy Cross goal and captured his first collegiate goal on the play.
• Tommy Nixon returned to net for the first time since Oct. 13 and posted 31 saves.
• The game at Quinnipiac marks the third top-10 team that the Crusaders will face in their non-conference schedule, which is a first for the program.
• Michael Laffin has tallied 21 of his 80 career points against the Pioneers, meaning he has tallied 26% of his points against Sacred Heart.
• Johnny Coughlin now ranks second in the Holy Cross record books in career goals from a defenseman (16), and fifth in defensive points (57).
• Rookie Anthony Vincent is tied with Coughlin for the lead in assists, each with 11. Vincent ranks second among his teammates in points (1-11-12).
• Vincent has posted six assists in his last seven games played.
• In 2019, the senior class has produced 20 points (11-9-20), accounting for 46% of the team’s points. Between five seniors (Spencer Trapp, Coughlin, Michael Laffin, Peter Crinella, and Mitch Collett).
• The seniors have recorded 11 of the team’s 18 goals in 2019, contributing 61%.
• In league games, Holy Cross’ power play ranks second, scoring on 10 of 49 opportunities (20.4%).
• Vincent ranks 10th among Atlantic Hockey rookies in scoring, with 12 points.
• Vincent and Coughlin both have 11 assists on the season, ranking them 24th in the league.
• In league games, Coughlin ranks 10th in scoring (5-10-15).
• Since all 12 of Vincent’s points have come in league games, he ranks fourth in freshman scoring in league contests.
• Michael Laffin ranks 10th in league with 35 blocked shots in 22 games.
• Johnny Coughlin ranks 26th nationally in points per game for defensemen (0.81).
• The senior defenseman ranks t-19th for points in Atlantic Hockey. He is tied for sixth amongst the league’s defensemen, with 17 points.
• With 15 league points, Coughlin ranks fourth in defeseman scoring.
• The Crusaders have seen 19 different goal scorers on the season.
• No one player accounts for more than 11% of the team’s scoring.
Gordon in the Second Half
• Erik Gordon has played all but one game in 2019 for Holy Cross.
• In the six 2019 games, Gordon holds a .907 save percentage and 2.82 goals against average.
Scouting Sacred Heart
• Sacred Heart hosts the Crusaders with a 6-8-2 conference record.
• The Pioneers are led by rookie Austin Magera, with 14 points on five goals and nine assists.
• Marc Johnstone leads the team with 10 assists.
• On the power play, the Pioneers have scored just 11 times, with a conversion rate of 12.4%
• The Sacred Heart penalty kill checks in at 83.1%.
• Between the pipes for the Pioneers, Josh Benson has played in the last two games and 12 on the season. Benson holds a .907 save percentage and a 2.49 goals against average.
Last Time Against the Pioneers
• The Crusaders played the Pioneers to a 3-0-1 record in the 2017-18 season.
• Holy Cross holds the all-time advantage, 37-30-5.
• The Crusaders will kick of a three-week home-stand, hosting Army on Feb. 1 and 2. Both games are slated for 7:00 p.m.