Women's Basketball Opens Patriot League Play Vs. Colgate
The Holy Cross women’s basketball team commences Patriot League play when it hosts Colgate on Thursday, January 3 at the Hart Center. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (8-3):
- Holy Cross posted an 81-62 victory over Bryant University on Sunday, December 30.
- Junior Lauren Manis led the Crusaders with 22 points and eight rebounds. Junior Megan Swords had eight points and 13 rebounds, while freshman Avery LaBarbera posted 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Manis and LaBarbera swept the Patriot League weekly awards for the second time this season, as Manis was named Player of the Week and LaBarbera was named Rookie of the Week.
- With an 8-3 record, Holy Cross matches its best nonconference record since the 2013-14 season, when the Crusaders also began the year 8-3.
- Holy Cross and Colgate last met on March 3, 2018 in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament. The Crusaders won, 66-47, to advance to the quarterfinals. In that game, Swords recorded eight points and five rebounds, while Manis had seven points and eight rebounds.
- Holy Cross went 3-0 against the Raiders in 2017-18, winning 71-64 on December 29 and 61-52 on February 24. The February 24 contest served as head coach Bill Gibbons’ 600th career victory.
Things to Know About the Raiders (4-6):
- Colgate closed out its nonconference slate with a tight 74-69 loss to Niagara on Monday, December 31.
- The Raiders had a balanced effort in the contest, with Rachel Thompson posting 20 points and 11 rebounds, while Summer King also notched a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Mylah Chandler neared a double-double with nine points and 13 rebounds, and Keelah Dixon had 14 points.
- Thompson leads Colgate this year with an average of 12.3 points per game and 8.0 rebounds per game; she has also posted a team-best 24 steals and 31 assists.
- King has also averaged double-digit points, with 11.1 per game.
- The Raiders hold their opponents to just 25.9 percent from three-point range, which ranks inside the top 30 teams in Division I in that category.
- In the postseason matchup between the Crusaders and Raiders a year ago,
Patriot League Outlook:
- After finishing with a 7-11 record in conference play a year ago, Holy Cross was picked to finish sixth out of 10 teams in the Patriot League in a preseason poll.
- Manis, an All-Patriot League First Team selection in 2017-18, was named the 2018-19 Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year.
- Entering league play, Holy Cross is tied with Lehigh for the second-best overall record in the Patriot League.
- Over the past five seasons, Holy Cross is 4-1 in its Patriot League openers.
- The Raiders were picked preseason to finish 10th after posting a 3-15 record in league play.
- With 14 first-place votes, Bucknell was projected to win the conference in the preseason poll; the Bison have posted the most nonconference wins (9-3 overall) in the Patriot League this year.
Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.