Men's Soccer Opens 2018 Season Against No. 16 Fordham
Holy Cross (0-0-0)
vs. #16 Fordham (0-0-0)
|Date||Aug. 24, 2018|
|Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Last Meeting||Sept. 11, 1994 | W, 4-0|
|Series History||Fordham leads, 1-11-0|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s soccer team will open its 2018 season on Aug. 24 in a non-conference game with Fordham at 7:35 p.m. The game will be played at Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium, following the Holy Cross women’s soccer home opener, also against the Rams.
Things to Know About Holy Cross:
- The Crusaders made an impressive run to the Patriot League championship game in the 2017 season, playing a five-game unbeaten streak at the end of the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Henry Stutz returns after leading the team to 480 minutes without conceding a goal (Oct. 25 – Nov. 12). Stutz also recorded seven shutouts last season, ranking him third on the all-time single season shutout list at Holy Cross.
- Freshman forward Simon Becher was selected to Top Drawer Soccer’s Best XI Preseason Freshman Team. To read more, click here.
- Sophomore midfielder Max Krause returns as the team’s leading point scorer. Krause led the 2017 team in assists, with four.
- Mason Brummett, Owen Azrak, and Eoin Houlihan will lead the team as captains, as announced by head coach Marco Koolman.
Things to Know About Fordham:
- The Rams played to a 14-6-3 overall record in the 2017 season, with a 5-2-1 mark in the Atlantic 10.
- Fordham made an impressive post-season run, despite losing in the Atlantic 10 championship game. The Rams fell in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament at North Carolina, 2-1.
- In the Atlantic 10 preseason coaches’ poll, the Rams were selected to finish in first place. Janos Loebe, Rashid Nuhu, and Joergen Oland were all named to the Preseason All-Conference team.
- Janos Loebe returns as the Rams leading scorer after he recorded 23 points on seven goals and nine assists in the 2017 season.
- Fordham was ranked No. 16 in the preseason United Soccer Coaches poll.
Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium Double Header:
- The Holy Cross women’s soccer team will kick off against the Rams at 5:05 p.m. to open Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium for the 2018 season.
- The men’s soccer team will then face Fordham at 7:35 p.m. for their home opener.
- Schedule posters for each team will be given out at the games.