Nine goal scorers send men's hockey past Simon Fraser
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s hockey team recorded a 9-0 win over Simon Fraser in an exhibition contest. The Crusaders saw nine different goal scorers and three goaltenders kept Simon Fraser off the board.
The Crusaders’ offense exploded midway through the opening frame, finding the back of the net four times in the frame. Holy Cross saw goals from three newcomers and Jake Pappalardo, Alex Peterson, and Grayson Constable.
Holy Cross continued to dominate through the second period as they put up two more goals. In the period, Holy Cross owned the shot advantage 17-1. After two periods the Crusaders led in shots, 42-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- HC (1st – 8:21 EV): Dalton Skelly wheeled around the net in the offensive zone and found a breaking Ryan Leibold in the slot for a quick shot to score.
- HC (1st -11:17 EV): Jake Pappalardo rushed into the offensive zone and collected his own rebound to score just outside the crease.
- (1st – 14:43 PP): With just a 15-second power play, Alex Peterson connected in the low slot for the goal.
- (1st – 18:57 EV): After a two-on-one, Peterson found Grayson Constable from behind the net. Constable one-timed the puck in.
- (2nd – 4:46 PP): Kevin Darrar shot to the top right corner of the net from the high slot.
- (2nd - 11:03 EV) : Nick Hale pinched on the half wall to fire in an off-angle rebound for a goal.
- (3rd – 1:22 EV): Leibold took a shot that rebounded off of Simon Fraser’s netminder’s pad and to the stick of Bryce Dolan for an open net goal.
- (3rd – 5:20 EV): Darrar sent Jack Surowiec on a breakaway with a perfect outlet pass along the boards. Surowiec lifted the puck just under the crossbar to score.
- (3rd – 11:39 EV): With a pass from Pappalardo behind the goal, Conner Jean fired off a one-time shot to beat the Simon Fraser goalie’s five-hole.
NOTES & NUMBERS
- The Crusaders outshot Simon Fraser, 68-16.
- All three Holy Cross netminders saw action. Matt Radomsky recorded six saves, Erik Gordon had six saves, and Beau Collins had three saves.
Holy Cross will open the season at #6/7 Providence at 7:15 p.m. on Oct. 11 in Providence, R.I.