Volleyball falls short vs. Navy
WORCESTER, Mass. – Junior setter Shannon Dwyer had a career-best 38 assists as the Holy Cross volleyball team dropped a tough match to Navy, 3-0, on Saturday, Sept. 28 in Patriot League action.
Avery Stowell had 13 kills and Paige Miles recorded 36 assists to pace Navy (6-7, 1-1 Patriot League).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In a marathon of a first set that featured 21 ties, the Crusaders took an early 8-5 lead to force a Navy timeout. The Midshipmen rallied to take a 15-14 advantage, but Holy Cross scored the next four points off a kill by junior middle blocker Clare Honan, a Navy attack error, a kill by Wright and a service ace by Dwyer.
- Navy pushed back ahead, 22-21, and the Crusaders responded to take a 24-23 lead after a kill from Wright. The Midshipmen tied the match again at 24-24; Wright had another kill to give Holy Cross a 25-24 lead, but an attack error evened the match at 25-25. The teams traded kills until a pair of opposing service errors made the score 30-30. Navy took the lead on the next point after an attack error, and though the Crusaders stuck around, tying the match twice more, Navy earned the final two points off a pair of errors for a 34-32 win.
- The tight play carried over into the beginning of the second set. Holy Cross trailed 9-7 early after a block by the Midshipmen, but took four straight points for an 11-9 lead after a kill from sophomore outside hitter Johnna Shamley, a kill by junior middle blocker Katie Kerins and a pair of errors by Navy. Navy took the next point off a service error, and from there, neither team led by more than one point until a Navy ace gave the Midshipmen a 17-15 lead. From there, they built their lead to 20-15; Holy Cross continued to battle, cutting within 23-20, but Navy had back-to-back kills to close out the set and take a 2-0 lead.
- Holy Cross went ahead 8-6 in the third after two straight kills by Benck and Kerins. The Crusaders led 13-12 before Navy called a timeout, and out of the timeout, Navy had four straight points to push ahead 16-13. Holy Cross stuck with the Midshipmen, trailing just 19-18 after a kill from Shamley, but Navy took six of the next seven points to take a 3-0 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Dwyer’s 38-assist performance bested her previous career high of 29 assists.
- Benck has recorded double-digit kills in five matches this season.
- Holy Cross will hit the road to continue Patriot League action, facing Colgate at on Thursday, Oct. 3.