Baseball Bounces Back to Split Doubleheader at Lafayette
|Left On Base||6||4|
EASTON, Pa. – The Holy Cross baseball team split a doubleheader with Lafayette in a pair of lopsided results on Saturday, May 4.
Lafayette 15, Holy Cross 4 (seven innings)
- Zach Buck (2-for-3, home run, two RBI)
- Austin Masel (2-for-3)
- Chris Rinaldi (1-for-2, triple)
- Peter Dudunakis (1-for-1, home run)
W: J.P. Woodward (5-6)
L: Liam Dvorak (6-4)
How it Happened:
- The Crusaders found themselves in a hole early after the Leopards took a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- Holy Cross was able to cut the Lafayette lead in half after sophomore catcher Zach Buck hit a two-run home run in the top of the second.
- Lafayette immediately countered in the bottom half of the frame with a two-run homer of its own to take a 6-2 lead.
- Junior shortstop Chris Rinaldi made it a 6-3 game with an RBI triple that scored senior second baseman Alex Gionis.
- The Leopards added six more runs in the third and three more in the fifth to build their lead to 15-3.
- Sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis led off the top of the seventh inning with a home run, but the Crusaders could not add any more runs on the scoreboard.
|Left On Base||9||7|
Holy Cross 15, Lafayette 5
- Chris Rinaldi (4-for-5, double, two RBI)
- Alex Volpi (2-for-4, home run, four RBI)
- Ben Malgeri (3-for-6, double, three RBI)
- Andrew Selima (2-for-4, double, triple, three RBI)
W: Declan Cronin (5-4)
L: Michael Dunn (2-3)
How it Happened:
- Holy Cross took control early with a five-run second inning. After sophomore first baseman Andrew Selima had a leadoff double and sophomore left fielder David Kale followed with a walk, junior catcher Riley Livingston moved the runners up with a sacrifice bunt, and junior third baseman Alex Volpi had a two-RBI single. Rinaldi added in an RBI base hit and freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri scored two more runs with a single to left field, making it a 5-0 game.
- Gionis scored two more runs for the Crusaders with a two-run single in the third inning.
- Lafayette used a two-run double to cut within 7-2 in the fourth inning.
- Rinaldi had a bunt single that scored Gionis in the sixth to push the Holy Cross lead to 8-2.
- Lafayette used a sac fly to cut within 8-3 in the seventh inning.
- The Crusaders tacked on seven runs in the eighth off an RBI single from Malgeri, a bases-clearing triple by Selima, an RBI single by Livingston and a two-run homer by Volpi.
- The Leopards added two more runs over the final two innings to make it a 15-5 game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross moves to 20-29 overall and 14-9 in the Patriot League. Lafayette is now 18-29 and 11-12 in the Patriot League.
- The Crusaders have now won at least 20 games in 10 of the past 12 seasons.
- With his sacrifice bunt in the second inning, Livingston has tied the Holy Cross single-season record for sacrifice bunts at 13.
- Sophomore right-handed pitcher Liam Dvorak had five strikeouts in his Game 1 start, bringing his season total to 76, which is tied for ninth in single-season program history. That total is also the highest by a Holy Cross pitcher since the 2012 season.
- The Crusaders are scheduled to round out their regular season with a doubleheader at Lehigh on Sunday, May 5.
- First pitch in Bethlehem, Pa. is scheduled for 12 p.m.