Men's Track and Field Places 6th at Patriot League Championship
WORCESTER, Mass. -- The Holy Cross men’s track and field team placed sixth out of nine teams, finishing with 41 points, as the Crusaders hosted the second day of the Patriot League Outdoor Championship on Saturday, May 4.
DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Sophomore Michael Pichay placed second in the triple jump with an IC4A-qualifying leap of 14.77 meters, breaking his own outdoor school record.
- For the second consecutive day, senior Brandon Thornhill broke his own school record in the 110 meter hurdles, clocking in at 14.28 seconds to place third in the finals on Saturday.
- The Crusaders had three finishers in the top eight of the 400 meter hurdles. Sophomore Gabe Piepergerdes was fourth in a time of 52.61 seconds, just .01 seconds out of third place; he broke a 54-year-old school record in the event. Thornhill was close behind in fifth in a time of 54.03 seconds, while junior Freddie Halloran was eighth at 54.31 seconds.
- Sophomore Dan Dempsey placed seventh in the high jump at 1.92 meters.
- Freshman Joseph Leland had a personal best of 14:48.37 in the 5,000 meter run, placing 12th out of 33 competitors.
- Piepergerdes, Halloran, Thornhill and freshman Will Hornyak ran a time of 3:18.48 in the 4x400 meter relay to place sixth.
- Senior Alexander Escada was fifth in the decathlon with a personal-record total of 6,150 points.
- Holy Cross will head to the New England Championships on May 11 and 12 and the IC4A Championships on May 12 and 13.