Rinaldi Powers Baseball Past URI
|Left On Base||13||6|
KINGSTON, R.I. – The Holy Cross baseball team used a five-run seventh inning to sink the University of Rhode Island, 7-3, on Wednesday, April 10.
- Chris Rinaldi (3-for-3, two doubles, four RBI)
- Ben Malgeri (2-for-4, double, RBI)
- Peter Dudunakis (2-for-5, double, RBI)
- Zane Hedaya (2.0 IP, no hits, one walk, three strikeouts)
W: Noah Luckenbaugh (2-1)
L: Cam LaFleur (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rhode Island took an early 1-0 lead off an RBI groundout in the bottom of the first inning.
- In the top of the third inning, the Crusaders loaded the bases after junior shortstop Chris Rinaldi walked and freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri and sophomore first baseman Evan Blum notched back-to-back bunt singles. However, starter Jon Morrison worked his way out of trouble with three straight outs to maintain the early shutout.
- Holy Cross loaded the bases again in the fourth, and Malgeri secured a double to score senior third baseman Alex Gionis and make it a 1-1 game before sophomore catcher Zach Buck got tagged out at the plate while attempting to score the go-ahead run.
- Junior righty Zane Hedaya and sophomore right-hander Noah Luckenbaugh pitched back-to-back 1-2-3 innings in the fourth and fifth to keep things even at 1-1.
- Freshman catcher Angelo D’Acunto drew a two-out walk and scored from first after Rinaldi secured a double deep in the left-center gap to give Holy Cross a 2-1 lead in the top of the sixth.
- That lead would be short-lived, as Jackson Coutts hit an RBI triple in the bottom of the sixth to make it a 2-2 game.
- After a one-out single by junior center fielder Austin Masel, sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis hit an RBI double down the right field line to take a 3-2 lead in the seventh inning. Junior Alex Volpi had a base hit to score Dudunakis and make it a 4-2 game.
- The Crusaders loaded the bases to continue the rally, and Rinaldi ripped a bases-clearing double to blow the lead open to 7-2.
- Rhode Island capitalized on defensive miscues by Holy Cross to tack a run on in the bottom of the ninth, but the Rams left the bases loaded as sophomore lefty Luke Dawson secured a swinging strikeout to end the inning.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Crusaders improve to 10-24 on the year; Rhode Island falls to 14-16.
- Rinaldi had a career high of four RBI on the day to boost his season total to a career-best 15. He is the second Crusader to record four RBI in a single game this season, joining Masel, who had four RBI against Dartmouth on April 3.
- Masel extended his hitting streak to six games with his seventh-inning single.
- Blum has now reached base in 16 consecutive games, matching Dudunakis for the longest reached-base streak by a Crusader this season.
- Hedaya recorded a season-high three strikeouts during his outing.
- Holy Cross resumes Patriot League play with a three-game series at Bucknell on Saturday, April 13 and Sunday, April 14.
- First pitch of Saturday’s doubleheader will be at 12 p.m. in Lewisburg, Pa.; the Crusaders and Bison will play a single game at 1 p.m. on Sunday.