Baseball Falls Short At Navy
|Left On Base||5||5|
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Holy Cross baseball team fell short in both ends of a doubleheader at Navy on Saturday, April 6.
Navy 3, Holy Cross 1
- Peter Dudunakis (1-for-1, two walks)
- Ben Malgeri (two walks, run scored)
- David Kale (1-for-3)
- Evan Blum (1-for-3)
- Austin Masel (1-for-3)
- Pat McGowan (6.0 IP, three runs, six hits, five strikeouts)
W: Noah Song (6-0)
L: Pat McGowan (0-8)
S: Trey Braithwaite (5)
How It Happened:
- After two shutout innings pitched by senior right-handed pitcher Pat McGowan, Navy had a pair of runs in the bottom of the third to take an early 2-0 lead.
- Freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri drew a walk to lead off the fourth inning, and sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis had a one-out single to move Malgeri to third. Junior catcher Riley Livingston was then able to score Malgeri on a sac fly to left field, cutting the Navy advantage in half.
- Navy tacked on an insurance run in the fifth inning off an RBI single from Zach Biggers to make it a 3-1 game.
|Left On Base||11||7|
Navy 4, Holy Cross 3
- Austin Masel (4-for-4, double, two RBI)
- Chris Rinaldi (1-for-2, RBI)
- David Kale (2-for-5)
- Eric Lopes (1.2 IP, no hits, one walk, two strikeouts)
W: Dalton Baker (2-1)
L: Declan Cronin (2-4)
S: Trey Braithwaite (6)
How It Happened:
- The Crusaders took a 1-0 lead with two outs in the third inning after sophomore left fielder David Kale notched a single and junior center fielder Austin Masel brought him home with a double down the left field line.
- Navy immediately evened the game in the bottom of the third, but in the fifth, Holy Cross regained a 2-1 lead. Junior shortstop Chris Rinaldi reached base with a leadoff bunt single and then stole second to move into scoring position; a single to right-center by Masel was enough to send Rinaldi across home plate.
- Navy used a three-run seventh to take a 4-2 lead.
- Holy Cross had several opportunities late, loading the bases in the seventh and eighth innings with just one out, but could only score one run after Rinaldi had a sac fly to make it a 4-3 game in the eighth.
- The Crusaders had the tying run on third with two outs in the ninth, but Navy closer Trey Braithwaite drew a swinging strikeout to end the Holy Cross threat.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Masel is the first Crusader to record four hits in a single game this season. He has hit 9-for-15 during a four-game hitting streak, and his season average sits at .297, second-best on the team.
- Kale is on a five-game hitting streak, while sophomore Evan Blum has reached base in 14 straight contests.
- Sophomore reliever Eric Lopes has not allowed a run in his last five outings and has conceded just one hit in that stretch.
- Holy Cross and Navy round out the weekend series with a 1 p.m. matchup on Sunday, April 7.