Cronin Strikes Out 9 As Baseball Splits With Lehigh
|Left On Base||6||6|
WORCESTER, Mass. – Highlighted by a stellar performance from senior right-handed pitcher Declan Cronin in Game 2, the Holy Cross baseball team split a Patriot League doubleheader with Lehigh on Saturday, March 30.
Lehigh 5, Holy Cross 3 (seven innings)
- Riley Livingston (2-for-3, three runs scored)
- Kellen McCormick (1-for-2, two RBI)
- Alex Gionis (1-for-1, double, RBI)
- Noah Luckenbaugh (1.0 IP, no hits, two strikeouts)
W: Levi Stoudt (3-2)
L: Pat McGowan (0-7)
How It Happened:
- Lehigh got on the board in the top of the first, but Holy Cross was able to tie the game quickly in the bottom of the second. Junior catcher Riley Livingston had a leadoff single, and senior third baseman Alex Gionis followed with an RBI double to make it a 1-1 game.
- Holy Cross took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth after senior left fielder Kellen McCormick had a sac fly with the bases loaded to score Livingston.
- Lehigh immediately regained the lead in the top of the fifth, going up 3-2, and added two more runs in the sixth to take a 5-2 lead.
- The Crusaders cut within two runs in the bottom of the sixth after McCormick’s RBI base hit scored Livingston.
- Sophomore reliever Noah Luckenbaugh didn’t allow any Lehigh hits in the top of the seventh, but the Crusaders were unable to cut any closer, as Levi Stoudt rounded out his complete game with a 1-2-3 seventh.
|Left On Base||3||8|
Holy Cross 4, Lehigh 1
- Declan Cronin (7.0 IP, three hits, no earned runs, no walks, nine strikeouts)
- Chris Rinaldi (2-for-2, two RBI)
- Kellen McCormick (2-for-4, run scored)
- Evan Blum (1-for-3, double, RBI)
How It Happened:
- The Crusaders put a run on the board in the bottom of the first when sophomore right fielder David Kale had a leadoff single and sophomore designated hitter Evan Blum brought him home with an RBI double.
- Cronin set the tone on the mound early, striking out the side in both the second and third innings; he faced the minimum through seven innings, with just one hit in the top of the fourth that was erased by a spectacular double play from junior shortstop Chris Rinaldi.
- Holy Cross’ lead grew to 2-0 in the fourth after Rinaldi had an RBI that scored Gionis. Junior first baseman Alex Volpi had a base hit to score McCormick in the seventh inning, making it a 3-0 game.
- Lehigh loaded the bases with nobody out in the top of the eighth; the Crusaders conceded just one run after Gionis turned an impressive double play, and sophomore reliever Eric Lopes forced the Mountain Hawks to fly out to end the inning.
- The Crusaders added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth after Rinaldi drew a walk with the bases loaded, pushing the Holy Cross lead to 4-1.
- Lopes had a 1-2-3 ninth, capped by a swinging strikeout, to help guide the Crusaders to victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross moves to 6-22 overall and 3-3 in Patriot League play. Lehigh is now 11-14 overall and 2-4 in the Patriot League.
- Cronin matched his career high in strikeouts, with nine in the game, also the most by a Holy Cross pitcher in a single game this year.
- Lopes’ save was the first of his career.
- Sophomore second baseman Peter Dudunakis has reached base in 16 consecutive games, while Blum has now reached base in 10 straight games.
- Holy Cross rounds out the weekend series with Lehigh with a single game on Sunday, March 31.
- Due to expected rain in the afternoon, the game has been moved to a 9:30 a.m. start.