Baseball Heads to Northeastern
The Holy Cross baseball team heads to face Northeastern University in a four-game weekend series at Friedman Diamond in Brookline, Mass. The first doubleheader will begin at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 16, followed by a doubleheader at 11 a.m. on Sunday, March 17.
- The Sunday doubleheader was originally scheduled to take place at Fitton Field in Worcester but was moved to Brookline due to field conditions.
- More info is available here.
Things to Know About the Crusaders (1-15):
- Holy Cross comes off an 11-4 loss to Boston College on Tuesday, March 12.
- Freshman right fielder Ben Malgeri went 3-for-3 with a double and triple, adding in an RBI to lead Holy Cross. Sophomore righty Noah Luckenbaugh pitched two innings, allowing just one run on one hit; freshman right-hander Nick Escoto made his collegiate debut, pitching a third of an inning.
- Malgeri leads the Crusaders with a .327 average this year; he has seven extra-base hits this year, including four doubles, and has reached base in eight consecutive games. Junior center fielder Austin Masel has posted a .259 average, while sophomore infielder Peter Dudunakis leads the team with three home runs.
- Sophomore Garret Keough leads the Crusaders’ pitching staff with a 3.86 ERA in 11.2 innings pitched. Sophomore Liam Dvorak has a team-best 18 strikeouts and a 4.79 ERA.
Things to Know About the Huskies (6-9):
- Northeastern comes off a 9-8 win at Hartford on Wednesday, March 13.
- In the victory, first baseman Jake Farrell went 4-for-4 with a triple, two home runs and four RBI.
- Farrell has a .344 average and a team-best five homers on the year; outfielder Corey DiLoreto leads Northeastern with a .364 average.
- In four starts and 22 innings pitched, lefty Sean Mellen has a 0.82 ERA with a team-best 22 strikeouts.
- This weekend’s series will serve as the 2019 home opener for the Huskies.
- The Huskies advanced to the NCAA Raleigh Regional in 2018.