Baseball Falls Short Against McNeese
|Left On Base||4||10|
LAKE CHARLES, La. – Despite a ninth-inning push, the Holy Cross baseball team fell to McNeese, 4-1, to round out the Mardi Gras Classic on Monday, March 4.
- Austin Masel (1-for-4, RBI)
- Riley Livingston (walk, run scored)
- Garret Keough (4.1 IP, three hits, two earned runs, four strikeouts)
W: Jonathan Ellison (1-1)
L: Garret Keough (0-1)
S: Aidan Anderson (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders struggled early against McNeese lefty Jonathan Ellison, putting up just one baserunner through the first six innings after senior Alex Gionis reached on an error in the top of the second.
- McNeese capitalized on a pair of Holy Cross errors to score two runs in the bottom of the third inning and tacked on another run off an error to go up 3-0 by the sixth inning.
- Junior center fielder Austin Masel broke up the no-hitter in the seventh inning with a one-out single, but Ellison issued back-to-back strikeouts to preserve the shutout.
- McNeese built its lead to 4-0 after a sac fly in the bottom of the seventh.
- In the top of the ninth, relief pitcher Brett Payne issued three straight walks to junior Riley Livingston, sophomore Evan Blum and freshman Ben Malgeri to load the bases for Holy Cross. After a pitching change, Masel reached on a fielder’s choice to score Livingston and make it a 4-1 game, but reliever Aidan Anderson notched two strikeouts to prevent any more Holy Cross runs from scoring.
- The Crusaders head to Baton Rouge, La., to face national No. 13 LSU.
- First pitch at Alex Box Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.