Baseball Comes Up Short in Doubleheader Against Alabama-Birmingham
|Left On Base||9||6|
TROY, Alabama -- The Holy Cross baseball team fell in both ends of a doubleheader to Alabama-Birmingham on Sunday, February 24.
UAB 8, Holy Cross 2 (seven innings)
- Ben Malgeri (2-for-3, double, one RBI)
- Austin Masel (1-for-4, triple, one run scored)
- Peter Dudunakis (2-for-3)
W: Riley Davis, UAB (1-0)
L: Pat McGowan, Holy Cross (0-2)
How It Happened:
- UAB had a run in the bottom of the first to take an early lead, but the Crusaders answered immediately to tie in the top of the second. Holy Cross had the bases loaded after sophomore Zach Buck walked, sophomore Peter Dudunakis hit a single and junior Alex Volpi got hit by a pitch; senior Alex Gionis walked to bring Buck home and make the score 1-1.
- Junior Austin Masel had a triple to lead off the third inning and was brought home after a sacrifice fly by freshman Ben Malgeri to give the Crusaders a 2-1 lead.
- The Blazers evened up the game in the bottom of the fifth before adding six runs in the sixth to build an insurmountable lead.
|Left On Base||4||1|
UAB 6, Holy Cross 2 (seven innings)
- Ben Malgeri (2-for-2, double, run scored, stolen base)
- Austin Masel (1-for-2, one RBI)
- Liam Dvorak (5.1 IP, five hits, three earned runs, five strikeouts)
W: Tanner Graham, UAB (2-0)
L: Liam Dvorak, Holy Cross (0-1)
How It Happened:
- Smart baserunning from junior Chris Rinaldi and Malgeri put runners on second and third with no outs in the top of the third. Junior Riley Livingston had an RBI on a fielder’s choice to give Holy Cross a 1-0 lead; Masel made it a 2-0 game after an RBI groundout to score Malgeri.
- UAB cut the lead in half with a solo homer in the fourth inning.
- The Blazers then took the lead for good in the sixth inning, plating five runs for a 6-2 advantage.
- Holy Cross heads to Lake Charles, Louisiana for the Mardi Gras Classic.
- The Crusaders will play two contests apiece against Nicholls and McNeese from March 2 to 4.