Baseball Slips Up At Alabama-Birmingham
Holy Cross Athletics 02-23-2019
|Left On Base||9||10|
TROY, Alabama -- The Holy Cross baseball team dropped the opening contest of its weekend series against Alabama-Birmingham, falling by a score of 20-6 on Saturday, February 23.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blazers got out to an early 3-0 lead after a two-run first and a home run by J Paul Fullerton in the second.
- Holy Cross put a run on the board in the top of the third after senior Alex Gionis led off with a double and was brought home on an RBI single from junior Riley Livingston.
- Sophomore Evan Blum had a two-RBI single in the fourth inning that brought senior Kellen McCormick and freshman Ben Malgeri home to tie the game at 3-3. The Crusaders then took a 4-3 lead on an RBI groundout from junior Chris Rinaldi, followed by a sacrifice from Livingston that scored Blum and gave the Crusaders a 5-3 lead.
- UAB answered quickly, plating eight runs in the bottom half of the fifth and adding five more in the sixth to take a 16-5 lead.
- Holy Cross got a run back in the eighth off a homer from sophomore Peter Dudunakis.
- UAB closed out the evening with four more runs in the eighth to cap the scoring on the evening.
- The Crusaders and Blazers will play a doubleheader on Sunday, February 24. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Baseball
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
Holy Cross Football Pro Day 2019
Holy Cross Baseball 2019 Official Hype
Spring Ball 2019: Practice One