Men's Track and Field to Compete at URI Heptathlon, Husky Invite
The Holy Cross men’s track and field team will compete at a pair of meets this weekend: the University of Rhode Island Heptathlon, set for December 6 and 7 in Kingston, Rhode Island, and the Howlin’ Husky Invitational, scheduled for December 8 in Boston at the Reggie Lewis Center.
LAST TIME OUT:
- Holy Cross kicked off the 2018-19 season at the Boston University Season Opener meet on December 1.
- Sophomore Michael Pichay posted a New England-qualifying mark of 14.30 meters in the triple jump, finishing sixth. He also had a third-place finish in the long jump, posting a mark of 6.72 meters.
- Sophomore Dan Dempsey finished third while hitting a personal-best 1.95 meters in the high jump.
- Sophomore Gabe Piepergerdes finished third in the 600 meter run, posting a time of 1:21.99. Junior Freddie Halloran was close behind him in seventh, clocking in at 1:25.74.
- Freshman Will Hornyak (sixth, 1:58.04) and sophomore Peter Mitchell (eighth, 1:59.71) finished inside the top eight with personal bests in the 800 meters.
- Junior Garrett Fortin finished eighth in the 200 meters, running a time of 22.99 seconds.
- At the Husky Invitational on December 9, 2017, the Crusaders had several top performances.
- Piepergerdes had the second-fastest time of the day in the 400 meter dash, running a time of 51.55 seconds. He also placed seventh in the finals of the 60 meter hurdles, clocking in at 8.99 seconds.
- Then-junior Joseph Prunty placed third in the 5,000 meter run, clocking in at 15:39.70.
- In the long jump, then-junior Alexander Escada turned in a fourth-place finish with a jump of 6.30 meters.