August 31, 2010
Crusaders Set To Kick Off 2010 Season At Bryant Invitational
Schedule: Friday, Sept. 3 at Bryant Invitational, Smithfield, R.I., 4:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's cross country team kicks off the 2010 season at the Bryant Invitational in Smithfield, R.I. on Friday, Sept. 3 at 4:30 p.m. The race is a 5k and will be held on the campus of Bryant University.
- The Crusaders return 11 letterwinners from a year ago and welcome 12 newcomers. Junior captain Paige Sutherland (Groveland, Mass.) is the top returnee for the Crusaders. Sutherland has been the top team finisher in 13 of the 14 races she has entered. She hit a personal-best mark of 17:58.16 in the 5k at the Murray Keatinge Invitational in 2009, breaking the 18 minute mark for the first time in her collegiate career.
- Senor Allison Fimognari (Wilbraham, Mass.) will also serve as a captain for the 2010 season. Fimognari finished with a personal-best 5k time of 20:50.17 at the Blue Devil Invitational last season.
- Seniors Jacqueline Imse (Simsbury, Conn.) and Sarah Mellea (North Arlington, N.J.) return to lead the top of the pack for Holy Cross. A year ago Imse was the second Crusader to cross the line in four races, while Mellea was the second to finish in two. Both Imse and Mellea had their best finishes of the year at the Blue Devil Invitational when Imse took sixth in the 5k race with a time of 18:51.80 and Mellea finished ninth with a time of 18:57.96.
- Holy Cross finished fifth at the 2009 Patriot League Championship, its best team finish since 2001. Sutherland led the Crusaders with a second place finish, earning first-team All-Patriot League honors. Sutherland became the eighth Crusader in program history and the first since 1998 to earn first-team All-Patriot League honors.