Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 0-0 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-0
Schedule: Friday, Aug. 24 vs. Alabama, Worcester, Mass., 11:00 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 24 vs. Sacred Heart, Worcester, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 25 at Northeastern, Boston, Mass., 11:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team will kick off the 2012 season when it co-hosts the Beanpot Classic with Northeastern. On Friday, Aug. 24, the Crusaders will play SEC opponent Alabama (11:00 a.m.) and two-time defending NEC champion Sacred Heart (7:00 p.m.) at the Holy Cross Field House. Both of these matches are available to watch through Crusader Vision by going here. Alabama will also play Northeastern at 4:00 p.m. at the Holy Cross Field House. The tournament then moves to Solomon Court in Boston, Mass., on Saturday, Aug. 25, as the Crusaders will meet the Huskies (11:00 a.m.). This matched can be watched by going here. The tournament will conclude with Alabama versus Sacred Heart at 2:00 p.m. and Sacred Heart versus Northeastern at 7:00 p.m.
- This is the fifth straight year that Holy Cross has competed in the Beanpot Classic and the fourth straight season the Crusaders have hosted the tournament. The Crusaders are 3-7 all-time in the Beanpot Classic as they went 1-1 last season with a loss versus Fairleigh Dickinson and a win versus Central Connecticut. 2012 graduate Kathleen Colpoys and sophomore Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) were named to the 2011 All-Tournament team.
- This will be the first ever meeting between the Crusaders and Alabama. The Crimson Tide went 11-20 overall last season with a 4-16 record in the SEC. This will be the Crusaders first match versus Sacred Heart since a 3-0 loss on Sept. 4, 2009. Holy Cross is 2-3 versus the Pioneers in its last five matches with its last win being a 3-0 victory on Oct. 1, 2007. Last year, Sacred Heart went to the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season as the Pioneers went 27-8 overall and 14-2 in the NEC. Northeastern went 21-6 overall in 2011 with an 11-3 record in the CAA. The Crusaders have lost 23 straight matches to the Huskies. The Crusaders' last win was a 2-1 victory over the Huskies on Oct. 21, 1985.
- Senior Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) enters the season ranked second all-time at Holy Cross with 1,218 career kills and seventh with 919 career digs. She is 29 kills away from setting a new school record. She is one of only two players in program history to record over 1,000 kills and 900 digs and will look to be the first ever to post 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs.
- The Crusaders went 10-21 overall and 6-8 in the Patriot League in 2011. The Crusaders' six Patriot League wins tied their most ever, as they previously went 6-8 in 2004 and 6-6 in 2000. Holy Cross' fifth place finish in the league was its best since placing fifth in 2004.