Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 1-1 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Fairleigh Dickinson 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 8/26
Holy Cross 3, Central Connecticut 0, Worcester, Mass., 8/26
Schedule: Wednesday, Aug. 31 vs. Providence, Worcester, Mass., 6:00 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 2 at Connecticut, Storrs, Conn., 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 3 vs. Binghamton, Storrs, Conn., 10:00 a.m.
Saturday, Sept. 3 vs. Howard, Storrs, Conn., 5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team, which went 1-1 on Aug. 26 at the Beanpot Classic to start the season, will play four matches this week. On Wednesday, Aug. 31, the Crusaders will take on Providence (6:00 p.m.) at the Holy Cross Field House. Fans can watch the game by going here. The Crusaders will then compete at the Connecticut Invitational in Storrs, Conn., on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 2-3. On Friday, Holy Cross will play tournament host UConn (7:30 p.m.), while on Saturday the Crusaders will meet Binghamton (10:00 a.m.) and Howard (5:00 p.m.). Last week the Crusaders lost to Fairleigh Dickinson and defeated Central Connecticut. Senior Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.) and freshman Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) earned Beanpot Classic All-Tournament team accolades.
- The Crusaders have lost eight straight to the Friars. Holy Cross' last win over Providence was a 3-1 victory on Sept. 14, 2005 in Worcester. Last season, the Friars defeated the Crusaders by a 3-1 score. Providence is 2-2 so far this year with losses to Canisius and Morgan State, while it defeated La Salle and St. Peter's. The Crusaders did not play any of the teams in the Connecticut Invitational last year. UConn is 1-2 this season with a win over Grambling State and losses to Texas Tech and TCU. Binghamton is 0-4 with losses to Missouri, North Dakota State, Idaho State and Tulane. Howard is also 0-4 with losses to Pittsburgh, Eastern Kentucky, St. Francis (Pa.) and Duquesne.
- Junior Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) recorded a double-double in each of the first two matches of the season giving her 29 for her career. She averaged an impressive 4.0 kills per set and 3.14 digs per set, including 4.67 kills per set and 3.33 digs per set in the 3-0 win over Central Connecticut. She now has 841 career kills which are already fourth all-time in school history.
- Stokes recorded double-doubles in her first two collegiate matches. She was the first Holy Cross freshman to record a double-double in the first match of the season since Valerie Mora recorded 13 kills and 13 digs on Sept. 2, 2003 versus Quinnipiac. Stokes is the first freshman to tally double-doubles in the first two matches of the season in at least 11 years. She led the team with 58 assists, was third with 26 digs and fourth with nine kills.
- First-year head coach Erin Walker is 1-1 to start her Holy Cross career. Her 1-1 record is the best start by a first-year Holy Cross coach since Al Morel started off with a 2-0 record in 1984.