Volleyball To Open Season With Three Matches At Home On Aug. 27
Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 0-0 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-0
Schedule: Friday, Aug. 27 vs. Boston College, Worcester, Mass., 10:30 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 27 vs. Quinnipiac, Worcester, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 27 vs. Northeastern, Worcester, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 28 vs. Fordham, Chestnut Hill, Mass., 10:30 a.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team will kick off the 2010 season when it co-hosts the Beanpot Classic with Boston College. On Aug. 27, the Crusaders will play Boston College (10:30 a.m.), Quinnipiac (2:00 p.m.) and Northeastern (7:00 p.m.) at the Holy Cross Field House, while on Aug. 28, the tournament moves to Power Gymnasium in Chestnut Hill, Mass., as the Crusaders will meet Fordham (10:30 a.m.).
- Last season, the Crusaders had a 5-24 overall record (3-11 Patriot League). The five overall wins and the three Patriot League victories were the most since the 2006 season when Holy Cross went 5-20 (3-11 Patriot League). The Crusaders return 10 of 12 players and welcome two freshmen.
- Holy Cross went 0-3 last season versus the teams in the Beanpot Classic as the Crusaders did not play Fordham. Holy Cross fell to Boston College and Northeastern by a score of 3-0 at last year's Beanpot Classic at the Holy Cross Field House on Sept. 12, while the Crusaders lost on the road to Quinnipiac in five sets on Oct. 13. Last season, Boston College went 12-19 overall (2-18 ACC), Fordham went 13-20 overall (3-12 Atlantic 10), Northeastern went 15-12 overall (8-6 CAA) and Quinnipiac went 4-25 overall (3-13 NEC).
- Boston College won the 2009 Beanpot Classic defeating Holy Cross and edging Northeastern, 3-2. Chelsey O'Donnell (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Samantha Surface were named to the All-Tournament team from Holy Cross. Mollie Kolosky and Taylor Williams were selected to the All-Tournament team from Boston College, while Jessica Tkachuk and Leah Neubeck were named from Northeastern.
- Seniors Angela Chisholm (Millis, Mass.) and O'Donnell will serve as 2010 team captains. This is the second straight season in which Chisholm and O'Donnell will lead the Crusaders. Chisholm was fourth in the Patriot League with 360 digs last season and O'Donnell enters her senior season second all-time at Holy Cross with 2,378 career assists.
- Last season, sophomore Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) earned 2009 second team All-Patriot League honors to become the first Crusader freshman to receive All-Patriot League accolades. Lynch had 371 kills for the second most at Holy Cross for a single-season and the most ever by a freshman, while she ranked second in the league in kills and kills per set (3.53).