January 21, 2014
Women's Track & Field Preps For Joe Donahue Games
Scoreboard: 1st of 2, 221.50-215.50, at New Hampshire, Durham, N.H., 1/18
Schedule: Friday, Jan. 24, Joe Donahue Games, Boston, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's track and field team will return to action this Friday, Jan. 24, at the Joe Donahue Games in Boston, Mass. The meet will take place at the Reggie Lewis Center, hosted by Northeastern, and is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.
- Last season, the Crusaders finished seventh at the Joe Donahue Games. Senior Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) led the team with a first place finish in the 200-meter dash. Northeastern, UMass and Boston College finished tied for first in the team competition with 85.50 points.
- Holy Cross is coming off a first place finish at New Hampshire, defeating the Wildcats 221.50-215.50. Okpoebo set a new Holy Cross record in the 55-meter dash, crossing the finish line in 7.14 seconds. She had previously set the record in the event last season at the Tiger Invitational (1/5/13) with a time of 7.15 seconds. Okpoebo also took first in the 200 and joined six other Crusaders who won their respective events including seniors Lauren Bellerose (Shrewsbury, Mass.) , Emily Hughes (Milton, Mass.) and Christy Manning (Scarborough, Maine), juniors Emilia Sainato (Albany, N.Y.) and Michelle McGahan (Acton, Mass.) and sophomore Elizabeth Provost (Adams, Mass.).
- The New Hampshire meet was only the second full team meet Holy Cross has participated in this season. The first was the opening meet of the season at the Harvard Open. Prior to the Harvard Open, four student-athletes competed at the Rhode Island Pentathlon. Select members of the team also participated in six regional meets over the winter break from classes.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's indoor track and field team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.