Schedule: Friday, Dec. 6, at Rhode Island Pentathlon, Kingston, R.I., 11:00 a.m.
Saturday, Dec. 7, at Boston University Season Opener, Boston, Mass., 10:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross women's indoor track and field team is set to begin the 2013-2014 campaign this weekend at a pair of events. Select student-athletes will travel to the Rhode Island Pentathlon on Friday, Dec. 6, for an 11:00 a.m. start while the entire team will open competition at the Boston University Season Opener at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7, hosted by the Terriers at the Boston University Track And Tennis Center.
- Last season, the Crusaders opened action at the Jay Carisella Invitational, hosted by Northeastern. Senior Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) and graduate Brittany Gorski led the team with first place finishes. Okpoebo won the 60-meter dash. Junior Sarah Dahlstrom (Southborough, Mass.) also traveled to the Rhode Island Pentathlon last season, finishing seventh with a score of 2,962.
- Four Crusaders will travel to the Rhode Island Pentathlon this season including Dahlstrom, junior Alexandra Parise (Pine Bush, N.Y.), sophomore Morgan Zurlo (Glen Falls, N.Y.) and freshman Jennifer Kimball (South Weymouth, Mass.).
- Holy Cross returns 11 top performers from last season in 17 indoor events. Okpoebo led the team in 2012-2013 in the 55 (7.15), 60 (7.53), 200 (24.29) and 300-meter dashes (40.52). Sophomore Oona Wood (Williamstown, Mass.) was the top performer in the 500 (1:15.54), sophomore Caroline Carley (Barrington, Ill.) posted the best time in the 1,000 (2:55.35) and junior Abigail Mitchell (Manchester, N.H.) was the top Crusader in the one mile (5:07.37. Other top track performers from last indoor season include senior Emily Hughes (Milton, Mass.) (3,000, 10:09.06), senior Sandra van den Heuvel (Nashua, N.H.) (5,000, 18:14.56), senior Kylene Carey (East Bridgewater, Mass.) (55 hurdles, 8.75) and junior Mackenzie Arndt (Merrimack, Mass.) (60 hurdles, 9.37).
- In the field events, sophomore Melissa LaCoste (Amherst, N.H.) returns as the top performer in the high jump (1.60m), Arndt returns in the pole vault (3.85m) and senior Marissa Romano (Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.) returns in the long jump (5.24m) and triple jump (11.10m). Other top field performers from last season include sophomore Elizabeth Provost (Adams, Mass.) in the shot put (11.92m) and Dahlstrom in the pentathlon (3,143 points).
- The Crusaders will be led by 11 seniors this season and welcome 20 new freshmen. The team will be led by senior captains Mariel Flood (Kinnelon, N.J.), Hughes, Christy Manning (Scarborough, Maine), Okpoebo and van den Heuvel.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's indoor track and field team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.