Women's Track & Field Set For New England Outdoor Championship
Scoreboard: 4th of 8, Patriot League Outdoor Championship, Bethlehem, Pa., 5/3-5/4
Schedule: Friday, May 10 at New England Outdoor Championship, Easton, Mass., 10:00 a.m.
Saturday, May 11 at New England Outdoor Championship, Easton, Mass., 10:00 a.m.
- Qualifying members of the women's track and field team will return to action on Friday and Saturday, May 10-11, at the New England Outdoor Championship, hosted by Stonehill. The action is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. both days.
- Last season, Holy Cross finished eighth of 35 teams at the New England Outdoor Championship. The 4x100 and 4x400-meter relay teams finished second and third, respectively, to lead the Crusaders. Individually, junior Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) finished fourth in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes. Graduates Katelyn Hartnett and Alexandra Culkeen took home a fourth and seventh place finish, respectively, and senior Brittany Gorski (Tewksbury, Mass.) finished eighth in the 400-meter hurdles.
- Fifteen individual HC student-athletes earned automatic qualifier bids to this weekend's New England Outdoor Championship. Okpoebo will compete in the 100 and 200 along with sophomore Brianna Tabin (South Hadley, Mass.). Senior Melanie Forte (Milford, Mass.) will also compete in the 100. Freshman Oona Wood (Williamstown, Mass.) will spring in the 400, Gorski and senior Kathleen Brekka (Hubbardston, Mass.) will run in the 800, juniors Amanda Waldron (Walpole, Mass.) and Sandra van den Heuvel (Nashua, N.H.) will run in the 5,000 and 10,000, respectively, sophomores Mackenzie Arndt (Merrimack, Mass.) and Emilia Sainato (Albany, N.Y.) will compete in the 100 hurdles and junior Mariel Flood (Kinnelon, N.J.) will race in the 400 hurdles. In the field events, Arndt and sophomore Michelle McGahan (Acton, Mass.) will compete in the pole vault, freshman Elizabeth Provost (Adams, Mass.) will throw in the shot put and discus and senior Kelcey Germain (Auburn, Mass.) and junior Christy Manning (Scarborough, Maine) will compete in the hammer throw.
- The 4x100, 4x400 and 4x800-meter relay teams also automatically qualified to compete this weekend. The 4x100 team includes Tabin, Forte, sophomore Katie Bobinski (Torrington, Conn.) and Okpoebo, the 4x400 team is comprised of Okpoebo, sophomore Payton Shubrick (Springfield, Mass.), freshman Victoria Engvold (Niskayuna, N.Y.) and Wood and the 4x800 team is made up of Gorski, Brekka, freshman Caroline Carley (Barrington, Ill.) and sophomore Abigail Mitchell (Manchester, N.H.).
- Thirteen other individual Crusaders qualified on a provisional basis and will find out later this week if they will be accepted into the meet. Those provisional qualifiers include Bobinski, sophomore Maddie Dodge (Rumford, R.I.), Shubrick, senior Sarah Meinelt (Topsfield, Mass.), freshman Cassie Gildea (Milford, Conn.), Carley, Mitchell, freshmen Melissa LaCoste (Amherst, N.H.) and Morgan Zurlo (Glen Falls, N.Y.) and sophomores Marissa Romano (Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.), MaryGrace Brogioli (Wareham, Mass.), Sarah Dahlstrom (Southborough, Mass.) and Alexandra Parise (Pine Bush, N.Y.).
- At last weekend's Patriot League Outdoor Championship, the Crusaders finished in fourth place as Okpoebo was named Women's Track Athlete of the Meet. The junior won the 100 and 200-meter dashes to earn the honor for the first time in her career. She also received first team All-Patriot League recognition in her two events. Gorski, who won the 800-meter run, also was named first team All-Patriot League. Waldron was named second team All-Patriot League after taking the runner-up spot in the 5,000-meter run while the 4x100-meter relay team of Tabin, Forte, Bobinski and Okpoebo finished in second place to also earn second team All-Patriot League accolades.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's track and field team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.