May 15, 2012
Women's Track & Field Ends 2012 Season, Announces Awards, 2012-2013 Captains
Scoreboard: 8th of 35, New England Championship, Cambridge, Mass., 5/11-5/12
Schedule: Season is complete.
- The Holy Cross women's track and field team wrapped up the 2011-2012 season at the New England Outdoor Championship last weekend at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Thirty-five teams competed in the meet and the Crusaders finished in eighth place with 38.50 team points. Rhode Island won the championship with 106 points.
- The 4x100-meter relay teams earned the top finish for Holy Cross in the final meet of the season taking second place with a time of 47.55. The team consisted of freshman Brianna Tabin (South Hadley, Mass.), junior Melanie Forte (Milford, N.H.), freshman Katie Bobinski (Torrington, Conn.) and sophomore Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) and broke the school record earlier this season at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship, setting the new mark at 47.02 seconds.
- Junior Kathleen Brekka (Hubbardston, Mass.) also set a new school record this season in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. At the Holy Cross home meet on April 21, Brekka crossed the finish line at 11:26.84 to set the new mark. Four other Crusaders set personal best marks during the 2012 outdoor season including freshman Mackenzie Arndt (Merrimack, Mass.) in the pole vault (3.70 meter), Okpoebo in both the 100-meter (11.99 seconds) and 200-meter (24.36 seconds) dashes, junior Brittany Gorski (Tewksbury, Mass.) in the 400-meter hurdles (1:02.93) and Forte in the 200-meter dash (25.74).
- The team will graduate nine seniors this year, including captains Jennifer Bautista (St. John's, Newfoundland), Alexandria Culkeen (Beverly, Mass.), Hartnett, Erin Linnehan (Litchfield, N.H.) and Paige Sutherland (Groveland, Mass.). Kara Brownell (Cherry Valley, Mass.), Elizabeth Humphries (Siler City, N.C.), Sarah Mellea (North Arlington, N.J.) and Megan Skwirz (Smithfield, R.I.) round out the class of 2012 and their contributions will be missed next year.
- Hartnett graduates with school records in 800-meter run (2:09.33), set at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/7/11), and 1,000-meter run (2:48.02), set this season at the New England Indoor Championship (2/25). Hartnett was also selected to the Academic All-Patriot League team for the second time in her career.
- Linnehan also holds two school records in the 60-meter and 100-meter hurdles. She set the former record this season at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/19) with a time of 8.83 seconds and set the latter mark at 14.40 seconds last season at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/7/11).
- Head coach Egetta Alfonso announced the team awards for the 2011-2012 season following the Patriot League Outdoor Championship.
- Most Improved Track and Field Athlete went to Gorski. The junior improved by eight seconds in the 800-meter and by over a second in the 400-meter hurdles and 500-meter. She was a valuable member of the 4x800 relay team which placed second at the ECAC Indoor Championship (3/4), second at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/19) and third at the New England Indoor Championship (2/25). Gorski also finished second in the 400-meter hurdles at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/5) and, after receiving the award, set her personal best time (1:02.93) in the 400-meter hurdles at the New England Outdoor Championship (5/12).
- Freshman Fiorella Johnson (Redding, Conn.) won Most Valuable Track Rookie, placing fifth in the 500 at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/19) and seventh in the same event at the New England Indoor Championship (2/25) to qualify for the ECAC Championship.
- Arndt won Most Valuable Field Rookie for her second place finish and personal best 3.70 meter ECAC qualifying pole vault at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/5). After receiving the award, she went on to finish fourth in the event at the New England Outdoor Championship (5/11).
- Most Valuable Track Athlete went to Okpoebo, who won the 60-meter and 200-meter dashes at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/19) and 100-meter and 200-meter dashes at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/5). She finished second in the 60-meter dash at the New England Indoor Championship (2/25) and fourth in the 200-meter dash. The sophomore also took home fourth place in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes at the New England Outdoor Championship (5/12) after receiving the award. She was a valuable member of the 4x100 relay team which finished second with a new school record at the outdoor Patriot League Outdoor Championship (5/5) and second at the New England Outdoor Championship (5/12).
- Culkeen won Most Valuable Field Athlete. The senior finished fifth in the weight throw at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/19) and qualified for the ECAC Indoor Championship. She also recorded two first place finishes in a dual meet against Maine (2/4) during the indoor season and scored a total of 14 points at the Holy Cross outdoor home meet (4/21). After receiving the award, she finished seventh in the discus throw at the New England Outdoor Championship (5/12).
- Freshman Sarah Dahlstrom (Southborough, Mass.) won the Coach's Award for Excellence in Track and Field for finishing in fourth place at the Patriot League Indoor Championship (2/17) and in eighth place at the New England Indoor Championship (2/24) in the pentathlon.
- The Alan Halper Distance Award was given to the top distance runner spanning the 2011 cross country, 2011-2012 indoor track and 2012 outdoor track seasons. Sutherland received the honor, recording the highest Crusader finish at the Cross Country Patriot League Championship (12th) and 18th at the New England Cross Country Championship. During the indoor season, Sutherland finished first at Maine and 12th at the New England Championship in the 3,000-meter. The senior also finished first in the 1,500-meter at the outdoor Holy Cross home meet and 10th in the same event at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship.
- Alfonso also announced the captains for the 2012-2013 campaign. The Crusaders will be led by rising seniors Brekka, Forte, Gorski and Sarah Meinelt (Topsfield, Mass.).