Scoreboard: 6th of 32, New England Outdoor Championship, New Haven Conn., May 13-14
Schedule: Season has concluded
- The Holy Cross women's track and field team wrapped up the 2010-2011 season at the New England Outdoor Championship last weekend. Thirty-two teams from six states traveled to the Jess Dow Field in New Haven, Conn. where the Crusaders took sixth place, scoring 45 points. The University of New Hampshire won the championship title with 95 points.
- The 4x800-meter relay team of junior Katelyn Hartnett (Danvers, Mass.), senior Courtney Burgess (Dracut, Mass.), senior Cassandra Anderson (Saugus, Mass.) and sophomore Kathleen Brekka (Hubbardston, Mass.) led the Crusaders with a first place a time of 9:02.32.
- Freshman Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) had a pair of top four finishes, coming in fourth in both the 100-meter dash (12.16) and the 200-meter dash (25.62). Senior M. Siobhan Straub (Mattituck, N.Y.) also performed well, finishing fifth in both the 100-meter dash (12.25) and the 200-meter dash (1:59.63). Hartnett came in fourth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:10.48, while junior Alexandria Culkeen (Beverly, Mass.) was sixth in the shot put with a throw of 12.83 meters. In addition, junior Erin Linnehan (Litchfield, N.H.) placed sixth in the 100-meter hurdles (14.56).
- In other relay action, the 4x100-meter relay team of sophomore Melanie Forte (Milford, N.H.), senior Caitlin White (Miller Place, N.Y.), Straub and Okpoebo came in seventh with a time of 48.65, while the 4x400-meter relay team of sophomore Sarah Meinelt (Topsfield, Mass.), freshman Lauren Bellerose (Shrewsbury, Mass.), sophomore Brittany Gorski (Tewksbury, Mass.) and sophomore Rachelle Sylvia (Westerly, R.I.) placed 10th in a time of 4:01.22.
- Thirteen seniors concluded their varsity careers at the championship last weekend and their contributions to the team will be missed next year. Burgess concluded the season with personal-best performances in the 400, 800, 1,500 and one-mile races. She was named to the All-Patriot League first team as a member of the first place finishing 4x800 relay at the 2011 Patriot League Outdoor Championship. She earned the 2011 Outstanding Improvement award and served as one of the quad-captains this season. Burgess is also a two-time member of the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll.
- Anderson, a captain and four-year varsity letter winner, ran a personal-best performance in the 400 this season and was named to the first team All-Patriot League as a member of the first place finishing 4x800 relay at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship. She was also a member of the 2010 4x400 record-breaking relay team that took first at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship, earning first team All-Patriot League honors. Anderson was named AT&T Crusader of the week earlier in the season for her performance at the Minutemen Invitational.
- Straub, another captain and four-year varsity letter winner, ran personal-best times in the 100 and 200 this season and was a member of the second place 4x100 relay team, which earned All-Patriot League second team honors. In 2010, she earned first team All-Patriot League honors as a member of the first place 4x100 relay at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship.
- White concluded her final season with the Crusaders earning All-Patriot League second team honors as a member of the 4x100 relay team at the 2011 Patriot League Championships. She was also a member of the first place 4 x 100 relay at the 2010 Patriot League Outdoor Championship.
- Senior Rose Calvo (Rocky Hill, Conn.) ran personal-best times in the 1,500, 5,000 and 10,000 meter races during her final season as a Crusader.
- The Crusaders look towards a successful 2011-2012 as Hartnett, Culkeen, Linnehan, junior Jennifer Bautista (St. John's, Newfoundland) and junior Paige Sutherland (Groveland, Mass.) will lead the Crusaders as captains for the 2011-2012 season.