May 3, 2011
WOMEN'S TRACK & FIELD
Crusaders Set For Patriot League Championship
WOMEN'S TRACK & FIELD
Scoreboard: No Team Scores at Brown Springtime Open, Providence, R.I., 5/1
Schedule: Friday-Saturday, May 6-7, at Patriot League Outdoor Championship, Easton, Pa., 9:30 a.m.
- The Holy Cross women's track & field team has wrapped up its regular season competition, and prepares to race at the Patriot League Championship, New England Championship and ECAC Outdoor Championship in the following weeks. The Crusaders will kick off the post-season at the Patriot League Outdoor Championship in Easton, Pa., on Friday-Saturday, May 6-7 at 9:30 am.
- Last year, Bucknell was crowned 2010 Patriot League Outdoor Champions, edging out Navy by one point. Bucknell scored 121 points, while Navy scored 120 to claim second place. Army placed third with 97 points, Holy Cross placed fourth with 80 points, Lehigh placed fifth with 73 points, Colgate and Lafayette tied for 6th place, scoring 56 points each and American rounded out the competition in 7th place with eight points. Former Crusader Tiffany Reid led the team, placing first in both the 100 and 200 dashes and running in the first place finishing 4x100 and 4x400 relays. Junior Erin Linnehan (Litchfield, N.H.) placed third in the 100 hurdles, while junior Paige Sutherland (Groveland, Mass.) placed second in the 5,000. In the 800, junior Katelyn Hartnett (Danvers, Mass.) placed second with a school record time of 2:12.49, while teammate senior Cassandra Anderson (Saugus, Mass.) finished fourth.
- The women's track & field team has high hopes for the 2011 Patriot League Championship, as many Crusaders rank top five on the Patriot League Performance List. In the sprints, freshman Stephanie Okpoebo (Chelmsford, Mass.) ranks second in the 200, while senior M. Siobhan Straub (Mattituck, N.Y.) ranks fifth in the 100 meter dash. Hartnett leads the Crusaders in the mid-distance, ranking third in both the 800 and 1,500. Senior Courtney Burgess (Dracut, Mass.) ranks fifth in the 1,500, while Linnehan ranks fifth in the 100 meter hurdles and sophomore Brittany Gorski (Tewksbury, Mass.) ranks fifth in the 400 meter hurdles.
- The Crusaders wrapped up their regular season at the Brown Springtime Open last weekend. Linnehan ran a season-best time of 14.86 seconds to finish third in the 100 hurdles, while Gorski ran a season-best time of 1:05.21 in the 400 hurdles to also earn third place. Junior Alexandria Culkeen (Beverly, Mass.) threw a personal-best distance of 40.08 meters in the discus throw to qualify her for the New England Championship. This is Culkeen's first time qualifying for the New England Championship in the discus, and her new personal-best performance ranks her 10th on the 2011 Patriot League Performance List.
- Junior Sarah Mellea (North Arlington, N.J.) ran a personal-best time of 4:42.32 in the 1,500 to qualify for the New England Championship. Mellea looks to finish top-ten in the 1,500 this weekend at the Patriot League Championship, as she placed 12th at the 2010 Outdoor Patriot League Championship with a time of 4:48.23. Mellea's new personal-best time ranks her 11th on the 2011 Patriot League Performance List.
- Other notable performances from the Brown Springtime Open include a personal-best time of 27.67 seconds in the 200, and a season-best time of 13.28 seconds in the 100 by junior Jennifer Bautista (St. John's, Newfoundland), and a personal-best time of 59.70 in the 400 by Burgess.