Oct. 8, 2008
EASTON, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team defeated Stonehill, 4-3, on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 2-2 and have now won two matches in a row, while the Skyhawks fall to 3-1. After Stonehill won the doubles point, the Crusaders then went onto win four of the six singles matches to earn the victory.
Freshman Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.) won the No. 3 singles match over Leah White, 7-5, 6-2, to improve to 5-2 on the season. Junior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) defeated Caitlin Ryan in the No. 4 singles match, 6-1, 6-1, while junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) won the No. 5 singles match over Bacall Brooks, 6-2, 6-2, and is now 4-1 on the season. Freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) earned her sixth singles win of the year to improve to 6-1, when she defeated Lindsay Simmons in the No. 6 singles match, 6-4, 6-2.
Chandley and Marr were also victorious over White and Brooks, 8-4, in the No. 2 doubles match. Chandley and Marr are now 5-2 on the season as a team.
The Crusaders return to action on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 11-12, when they conclude the fall season at the New England Championship in Fairfield, Conn.
1. Lindsey Herchel (SC) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) -- 7-5, 6-1
2. Amy Toegemann (SC) def. Emma Rudnik (HC) -- 6-4, 6-2
3. Emily Marr (HC) def. Leah White (SC) -- 7-5, 6-2
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Caitlin Ryan (SC) -- 6-1, 6-1
5. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Bacall Brooks (SC) -- 6-2, 6-2
6. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Lindsay Simmons (SC) -- 6-4, 6-2
1. Herchel / Toegemann (SC) def. Meahl / Rudnik (HC) -- 8-2
2. Chandley / Marr (HC) def. White / Brooks (SC) -- 8-4
3. Emily Broderick / Haley McNeel (SC) def. Paige Brown / Kathryn Wilkie (HC) -- 8-5