April 29, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team was defeated by Bucknell 4-0 on Saturday in the quarterfinals of the 2007 Patriot League Tournament, which is taking place at Lehigh's Ulrich Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bison move on to face Colgate in the semifinals, while the 2006-2007 season is now complete for the Crusaders.
Bucknell began the day by taking two doubles matches to win the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, junior Meg Moran (Concord, N.H.) and senior Meredith Bacon (Hanover, N.H.) were tied at 5-5 with Tania Varela and Carlin Calcaterra, when the match was stopped after the doubles point had been decided.
In singles play, the Bison won three matches, before the other three matches were stopped once the overall team outcome was determined. Sophomore Melanie Bunke (Glastonbury, Conn.) was the only Crusader to win a set, taking the first set 7-5 at No. 5 singles, before her match was stopped.
No. 3 Bucknell 4, No. 6 Holy Cross 0
1. Paulina Gamboa, Bucknell def. Meg Moran, Holy Cross 6-2, 6-2
2. Carlin Calcaterra, Bucknell vs. Kristen Meahl, Holy Cross 6-4, 4-4, DNF
3. Ashley Globerman, Bucknell def. Meredith Bacon, Holy Cross 6-4, 6-1
4. Kirstyn Sotak, Bucknell def. Meg Manahan, Holy Cross 6-0, 6-0
5. Caitie Baffa, Bucknell vs. Melanie Bunke, Holy Cross 5-7, DNF
6. Renee Weissand, Bucknell vs. Paige Brown, Holy Cross 6-3, 3-3, DNF
1. Tania Varela/Globerman, Bucknell vs. Moran/Bacon, Holy Cross 5-5, DNF
2. Calcaterra/Gamboa, Bucknell def. Manahan/Meahl, Holy Cross 8-0
3. Camille Simonetti/Baffa, Bucknell def. Brown/Natalie Lin, Holy Cross, 8-3