April 26, 2006
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team wrapped up their 2005-06 season on a high note, shutting out Assumption 7-0. The Crusader women traveled to Assumption for the match and came away with their fifth win of the season.
Beginning the day in doubles competition, Holy Cross was able to sweep all three matches to take a 1-0 lead early in the match. Senior Carrie Simmons (Raynham, Mass.) and sophomore Amy Garrity (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) teamed up to set the tone for the afternoon with an easy 8-0 victory.
The duo of sophomore Meg Moran (Concord, N.H.) and junior Meredith Bacon (Hanover, N.H.) also won at second doubles by a score of 8-4. Sophomore Katie Guarino (Reading, Mass.) and junior Ginienne Santoro (Guilford, Conn.) completed the sweep at third doubles, winning 8-2.
Simmons finished her career with a convincing victory at first singles. The senior won her match in straight sets 6-0, 6-0. Four other Crusader women finished their victory off in straight sets on the afternoon.
Moran took her match at second singles by a scored of 6-0, 6-2. Garrity also won easily over Amanda Boyer 6-1, 6-1. Guarino was victorious by a score of 6-1, 6-1 at fourth singles as her teammate Melanie Bunke (Glastonbury, Conn.) picked up a win at sixth singles 6-0, 6-1.
At fifth singles, Bacon fell in the first set 6-3 but was able to rally to win her match with 6-1 and 10-5 advantages in the second and third set.
The Holy Cross women's tennis team concludes their season with an overall record of 5-9 with a 2-6 record during the spring season.
1. Carrie Simmons (HC) def. C. Canon (AC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Meg Moran (HC) def. M. Niurk (AC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Amy Garrity (HC) def. Amanda Boyer (AC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Katie Guarino (HC) def. S. Steele (AC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Meredith Bacon (HC) def. Alison Huntington (AC) 3-6, 6-1, 10-5
6. Melanie Bunke (HC) def. K. Haydens (AC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Simmons/Garrity (HC) def. Canon/Boyer (AC) 8-0
2. Moran/Bacon (HC) def. Niurk/Huntington (AC) 8-4
3. Guarino/ Ginienne Santoro (HC) def. Steele/Haydens (AC) 8-2