April 24, 2009
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team fell to Colgate, 4-0, at the Patriot League Tournament on Friday morning. With the loss, the Crusaders end the season with a 10-8 overall record, while the Raiders improve to 8-12 and advance to the semifinals to meet Army.
Colgate won the doubles point by winning the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches. The No. 1 doubles team of junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) were defeated by Elise DeRose and Cameron Williams, 8-2, while then junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) and freshman Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) fell to Alexandra Erickson and Cameron Thaney, 8-2. Junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and freshman Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) were trailing the No. 2 doubles match with Erin Fenn and Stephanie Brown by a score of 6-2 when the match was stopped due to Colgate earning the doubles point by winning the other two matches.
At No. 1 singles, Meahl fell to DeRose, 6-4, 6-0, and then junior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) was defeated by Williams at No 4 singles, 6-2, 6-2. Colgate secured the victory when Chandley fell to Fenn, 6-2, 6-3. Three matches did not finish due to Colgate earning the fourth point. At No. 2 singles, Marr was leading Erickson, 6-4, 5-5, at No. 5 singles, Konopka was leading Thaney, 6-4, 0-1, and at No. 6 singles, Jackie Stimmel was leading Wilkie, 6-1, 5-0.
1. Elise DeRose (CU) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) -- 6-4, 6-0
2. Emily Marr (HC) led Alexandra Erickson (CU) -- 6-4, 5-5, DNF
3. Erin Fenn (CU) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) -- 6-2, 6-3
4. Cameron Williams (CU) def. Hailee Lange (HC) -- 6-2, 6-2
5. Ivette Konopka (HC) led Cameron Thaney (CU) -- 6-4, 0-1, DNF
6. Jackie Stimmel (CU) led Kathryn Wilkie (HC) -- 6-1, 5-0, DNF
1. DeRose / Williams (CU) def. Meahl / Chandley (HC) -- 8-2
2. Fenn / Stephanie Brown (CU) led Konopka / Marr (HC) -- 6-2, DNF
3. Erickson / Thaney (CU) def. Wilkie / Emma Rudnik (HC) -- 8-2