April 18, 2008
West Point, N.Y. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team traveled to West Point, N.Y., on Friday to compete in the 2008 Patriot League Tournament at Army. The Crusaders competed against Lehigh in the quarterfinals of the tournament, where they were defeated 7-0, finishing their season with a 6-7 overall record.
At No. 3 doubles Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) teamed up to defeat Julie Arthofer and Kiera Murasko-Blank of Lehigh 8-3 in the Crusaders' only win of the day. Lehigh took No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches to win the doubles point.
At No. 4 singles Hallie Lange (Miami, Fla.) had a close match against Ruthie Furman of Lehigh but was edged out 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-7. Turning out another solid performance at No. 5 singles was Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.), who was edged by Victoria Vityuk of Lehigh, 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.
This concludes the 2007-2008 Holy Cross women's tennis season.
1. Allison Schwartz / Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Kristen Meahl / Meg Moran (HC), 8-5
2. Ariela Cohen / Stacey Reich (LU) def. Hailee Lange / Chase Fitzsimmons (HC), 8-2
3. Paige Brown / Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Julie Arthofer / Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU), 8-3
1. Schwartz (LU) def. Meahl (HC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Cohen (LU) def. Moran (HC), 6-0, 6-3
3. Arthofer (LU) def. Konopka (HC), 6-2, 6-4
4. Furman (LU) def. Lange (HC), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-7
5. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Kathryn Wilkie (HC), 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Reich (LU) def. Fitzsimmons (HC), 6-4, 6-4