April 16, 2008
Providence, R.I.- The Holy Cross women's tennis team traveled to Providence, R.I., on Tuesday to take on Providence College in a non-conference match. In a very close match, with the Crusaders falling just short, losing to the Friars 4-3. With the loss the Crusaders fall to 5-6 overall.
In singles action Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) beat out Providence's Avery Gibson 6-2, 6-4 at No. 1 singles. At No. 2 singles, Meg Moran (Concord, N.H.) defeated Ashley Rissolo 6-1, 4-1 (ret.) to gain a point for Holy Cross. Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) won the third point for the Crusaders with her victory at No. 3 singles over Dara Hawkins-Hodgson 6-4, 6-3. Providence won the remaining three singles matches, and also took the doubles point to win the match.
The Crusaders return to the court on Wednesday, April 16, when they play host to Hartford in a 4:15 p.m. match.
1. Meahl, HC, def. Gibson, 6-2, 6-4
2. Moran, HC, def. Rissolo, 1-6, 1-4 retired
3. Konopka, HC, def. Hawkins-Hodgson, 6-4, 6-3
4. Cusack, PC, def. Lange, 7-6, 6-1
5. Sinha, PC, def. Fitzsimmons, 6-0, 6-0
6. Lyons, PC, def. Manahan, 6-3, 6-2
1. Gibson/Hawkins-Hodgson, PC, def. Meahl/Moran, 8-6
2. Gilroy/Cusack, PC, def. Lange-Fitzsimmons, 8-0
3. Sinha/Betzner, PC, def. Konopka/Brown, 8-4