April 11, 2006
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team was victorious in two singles matches on the afternoon but was unable to overcome Rhode Island, falling 5-2 at home. Junior Meredith Bacon (Hanover, N.H.) earned a tough three set victory and sophomore Amy Garrity (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) won in straight sets to earn the two Holy Cross match points.
Playing in the fifth singles slot, Bacon won dropped the first set 7-5 before coming back tie the match with a 6-2 second set win. The junior would finally put away Rhode Island's Haley Loewenthal with at 12-10 third set victory.
In the third singles spot Garrity won her first set 6-4 and then defeated Grace Hedstrom by taking the second set 7-6 (7-4).
Rhode Island began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches to earn lead 1-0 heading into singles. The Rams would take four of the six singles matches to earn the 5-2 win.
In the second singles match, Crusader sophomore Meg Moran (Concord, N.H.) battled but lost in three sets to Erim Fleming 6-4, 2-6, 10-3.
Holy Cross senior Carrie Simmons (Raynham, Mass.) was forced to retired prior to the completion of her first single match due to injury.
The Crusader women will play again next Friday, April 21 when they host Worcester Polytechnic Institute at 3:30 p.m.
1. Valerie Chacon (URI) def. Carrie Simmons (HC) 7-6 (8-6), 2-1 (Ret.)
2. Erin Fleming (URI) def. Meg Moran (HC) 6-4, 2-6, 10-3
3. Amy Garrity (HC) def. Grace Hedstrom (URI) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Jess Sims (URI) def. Katie Guarino (HC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Meredith Bacon (HC) def. Haley Loewenthal (URI) 5-7, 6-2, 12-10
6. Emily Cohant (URI) def. Melanie Bunke (HC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Fleming/Hedstrom (URI) def. Simmons/Kerry Trimmer (HC) 8-6
2. Chacon/Sims (URI) def. Garrity/Moran (HC) 8-2
3. Cohant/Reuschel (URI) def. Bacon/Guarino (HC) 8-6