April 7, 2009
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Holy Cross women's tennis team fell to Lehigh, 7-0, on April 5, in Patriot League action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 7-7 overall (1-2 Patriot League), while Lehigh improves to 5-8 (2-0 Patriot League).
Lehigh won all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The No 1 and 2 doubles matches were both very close as Lehigh won each match, 8-6. Allie Schwartz and Ariela Cohen defeated junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) at No. 1 doubles, while Julie Arthofer and Liz Piscitelli defeated freshman Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.) and junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) at No. 2 doubles.
Junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) had a hard fought match at No 6 singles as she fell to Ruthie Furman, 7-6, 7-5, as lost a first-set tie-breaker. Meahl and Marr also had close matches. At No. 1 singles, Schwartz defeated Meahl, 6-3, 7-5, while at No. 2 singles, Cohen defeated Marr, 6-2, 7-5.
The Crusaders return to action on Wednesday, April 8 when they play Wesleyan at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts at 3:00 p.m.
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) -- 6-3, 7-5
2. Ariela Cohen (LU) def. Emily Marr (HC) -- 6-2, 7-5
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
4. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Hailee Lange (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Ivette Konopka (HC) -- 6-2, 6-2
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) -- 7-6, 7-5