Holy Cross Women's Tennis Defeats Lafayette 4-3
April 6, 2008
West Point, N.Y. - Continuing day three of play at West Point, N.Y., the Holy Cross women's tennis team took on Lafayette in their third conference match of the season. For their first time since joining the Patriot League, the Holy Cross Crusaders defeated Lafayette 4-3 to improve to 3-5 (1-2 Patriot League).
The Crusaders won the doubles point after Hallie Lange (Miami, Fla.) and Chase Fitzsimmons (Brielle, N.J.) paired up to defeat Lafayette at No. 2 doubles 8-4. Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and Megan Manahan (Waverly, Pa.) took No. 3 doubles 8-6 to clinch the point for the Crusaders.
In singles Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) led the Crusaders with her victory over Sarah Sykes at No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-1. Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) also posted a victory at No. 3 singles 6-3, 6-3, and Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) then won 7-6 (7-5), 6-0 at No. 5 singles. "The match came down to No. 5 singles and Kathryn Wilkie won to clinch the victory," said head coach Mike Lucus.
The Crusaders return to action on April 12 at Smith College. Start time is set for 11:00 p.m.
1. Kristen Meahl (HC) def. Sarah Sykes (L) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Ansley Scudder (L) def. Meg Moran (HC) - 6-0, 6-2
3. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Jaqui Bonder (L) - 6-3, 6-3
4. Rachel Rohinsky (L) def. Hailee Lange (HC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Kristie Cavanagh (L) -7-6(7-5), 6-0
6. Emily Deluca (L) def. Chase Fitzsimmons (HC) - 6-3, 6-4
1. Sykes/Scudder (L) def. Moran/Meahl (HC) - 8-5
2, Lange/Fitzsimmons (HC) def. Bonder/Rohinsky (L) - 8-4
3. Paige Brown/Meghan Manahan (HC) def. Cavanagh/DeLuca (L) - 8-6